Sign in to follow this  

How do you research which Full system exhaust to buy?

I have a 09 RMZ450 and I'm seeing tons and tons of full systems ranging from $400 to $900

Two Brothers, FMF, DrD , etc..

I could care less bout sound, I just need a pipe that'll extend the power in each gear, this bike likes to quit early and Im not a big fan of shifting a lot haha

Is there a site where I can get quantitative data to compare?

Thanks !

I hate to point you towards magazines to get any info, but MXA has always seemed to be pretty honest and generally tells it like it is on a product. BTW I just put a DrD on my crf450r, I like it a lot. Doesn't sign off as quickly now, feels a little torquier, but smoothed out the power at the same time. A+ exhaust.

Look for dyno results. Do not trust any manufacturer. Magazines are more trustworthy but not always. If six people say pipe A gains 6 hp, then you can feel sure that it does.

You are going to want to see the dynos, not just the max Hp.

So, I guess we just have to look up each manufacture separately, or at least find individual dynoss for the manufacturers we're interested in and compare from there. Cool.

Question William1, or Eddie, or who ever? Usable horse power gains? I've talked to many people that seem to really like the Dr. D's systems "specifically" because of the "usable power gains" they provide over other exhaust systems. I've heard that dynos may show more horse power here or there however, while on the track those gains doesn't always equate to true performance gains because of the difference between dyno readings and "usable power gains". From your experiences what is the RPM range that someone should be trying to reach to acquire these "usable power gains"? Or, is this still completely more comparable to a certain riders preference.

I only ask because because I get confused when when 1/3 the folks talk about reading dynos, another 1/3 talk about usable power gains, and another 1/3 talk about seat and paint being the only real dynos (rider preference). Hence, why I've heard many say dynos are worthless compared to "usable horse power gains".

Consider the testing you guys get to do on such regular basis's I thought I would ask what you've found to the best range for the above defined dilemma and also what exactly do they mean by "usable power gains". Is this to insinuate if exhaust system "x" produces six-horse power at 11.5k through 13.1k and exhaust system "y" produces four-horse power at 8500 through 11.5 that theres more "usable horse power gains" on system "y" although it produces less over all horse power? How do you pick a system then? Whats the purpose of the dyno then? I would think that the dyno is what would be used to determine the most usable horse power gains. I don't know, confusing...

Again, still learning about these four-strokes. I mean, we'll sometimes change pipes out on our two-strokes (85cc race class) depending on smaller, tight tracks oppose to larger more wide open tracks. I can understand those plus and minuses however, this doesn't really seem to apply in the four-stroke scenario.

Edited by motodogg01

my experience with dr.d pipes is they slow the bike down. thats why alot of people like them because they cant use the power of a stock 450 effectively.

me personally,im not in the business of making things slower.

Hence, why I've heard many say dynos are worthless compared to "usable horse power gains"

you only here this from guys with slow bikes.

my stuff makes big power on the dyno and backs it up with track results.

you only hear the opposite from guys that pay money to make less power.

my suggestion is to search for dyno graphs.it always translates to what happens while riding.

my experience with dr.d pipes is they slow the bike down. thats why alot of people like them because they cant use the power of a stock 450 effectively.

me personally,im not in the business of making things slower.

you only here this from guys with slow bikes.

my stuff makes big power on the dyno and backs it up with track results.

you only hear the opposite from guys that pay money to make less power.

my suggestion is to search for dyno graphs.it always translates to what happens while riding.

So would you say the Dr. D is a bad choice?