Sign in to follow this  

Piston Break In

Sup all,

Get my head back from AS today, going to throw everything back together. My question is how should i go about breaking in the piston?

Also, should i use blue thread locker on the head bolts? I did not use any on the flywheel bolt, and tried my best to get it to the correct torque, but my strap wrench wouldnt hold to get the true 40 somthing lb/ft required.

And should i torque the engine hanger plates after i torque down the head bolts?

no thread locker on the head bolts... you are going to (should) recheck the head bolt torque after you heat cycle the bike a few times anyhoo..

proper tightening torque is important!!!

here's my reply to a post that's still on the front page regarding the same topic..

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9385113&postcount=2

paul, [AS Racing], and i have talked this over a few times, he does all my head work, we both have "slightly" differing opinions of how to break in and heat cycle a motor.. both have and do work, i just prefer to heat cycle the bike a bit longer than he does, i want to feel the rings seat on the first heat cycle, i also prefer to install my pistons dry ala kelstr, burned, and hamp..

the most important things to remember, for a new piston/rings etc. is to warm the bike up properly, keep the temperature up, and don't lug the motor..