Sign in to follow this  

1981 cr125r help

I just bought my first dirt bike on craigslist. i found a cheap one for $150 that needed a little work. it is a 1981 cr125r. i need to replace the throttle cable. is this hard i found the replacement part for 20 bucks on ebay. i heard it is a little tricky to do your first time but with a little time i should be able to do it just fine. has anyone done this to a similar bike, if so any tips or help.

thanks

p.s. ill post pics of the bike soon

also the silencer part of the muffler is not there anymore. is this bad for the bike, will it burn out the pistons?

you should get a service manual for that bike if you are going to keep it, go into a honda dealer or look for one used. It will cover all the basic maintainence and show you (with pictures) how to replace parts such as your cable and what the neccesary steps are, if it is your first bike ever then it will really help show you the basics and can actually save you some money. The Honda Factory manual will be more then another brand such as clymer's or chiltons but they will all provide the basics for you.

Edited by stevens96yz250

That bike is 30 years old and getting parts will be challenging. You might be able to locate Clymer manual for it on e-bay. As far as the silencer missing, that's a problem. You can probably modify an aftermarket silencer to fit if you can't locate the proper one. Use the internet as a resource and visit on the pipe racing .com They can get you in the right direction.

Edited by Dklassen
posted url didn't work

ya that's is the only thing i am having trouble finding is the muffler/silencer. probably because i don't really know what to look for. i got all the other parts needed. is there an aftermarket pipe that not to expensive that could work. i don't care if it doesn't increase power. I just want it so there's enough backpressuer not to damage anything. how hard is it to modify a pipe, and what pipe would you suggest. any help at all would be great!

Unless you find some NOS at a Honda dealer that's the closest you'll get. If you're not fussy about going stock I'd say you should get it. I'd also recommend that you set yourself a budget and think about what you want out of the bike. If you want to ride it for fun or if you want a complete restoration. These things can get pricey and frustrating so be honest with yourself and your expectations.

I can see from the pictures that the bike needs some work. The 1981 was the first year of liquid cooling and some parts are unique to that particular year so it's not going to be easy to find parts. The front number plates on the 81 125 and 250 are kind of noteworthy as they were made to keep air flowing to the radiators but were not readable from a scorekeepers perspective. Most were tossed for a vented aftermarket plate. It's ironic that the bike you bought still has the original. If you just want a bike to putt around on then don't spend big bucks on it. Just make sure that the fluids are changed, new spark plug, air filter cleaned, and if you can find a new piston throw it in. That cylinder is steel which can and probably has been bored out. I wouldn't even buy the new silencer but get something used that can be adapted. Remember that your dealing with a 30 yr old bike so keep costs in perspective. Keep us posted on your progress.

i wouldn't run a silence if noise isn't too much of an issue, these bike aren't all that loud, but if you are riding it near neighbors or some thing, get get a cheap used silencer off ebay from any 125 and adapt it to fit unless you want to splurge for the dg one.

also i would not recommend you spend much money on it because if it breaks, you might not be able to fix it and then you will have to buy another bike, and donate the old one to me so i can restore it:p

The later model silencers were made for low pipes so the inlet pipe is curved. I'm not sure how much room you'd have for this. the last straight silencer was on the 87/88 version of the 125.

you could make it work if you have a grinder and welder or know someone who does