Sign in to follow this  

dr350 open air box, no filter...??

So I have read a bunch of posts on cold starting... I am trying to get mine to come to life w/o spraying gas into the intake... I currently have no air filter, no air box cover and a hole in the top of the box, (under the seat which I think is stock intake). is this too much open to create a suction to pull in the gas? need some solutions....

my leg is starting to get huge from the constant kicking!👍

edit... what is the procedure for finding the starting point on the kicker using the compression lever?

Pull in the decomp lever and release. It should stay in. Slowly push down the kickstart arm until the decom lever pops out and stop there. Now you are at the starting point. Let the kickstart arm come all the way up to the top and then kick all the way down. Repeat the whole procedure.

I think you want the filter in and the airbox closed. Adding air shouldn't help unless your pilot circuit is crazy rich, which it should not be. More than likely you need more fuel for a cold start hence the term "choke". The choke limits the air which richens the mixture. Some "chokes" are enricheners which add fuel instead of limiting air.

Seat the fuel screw gently and then turn it out 2 - 2 1/2 turns to get it set in the appropriate range. This is the hard to reach screw under the carb, in the front, and up inside the large tube of the carb casting. It may be covered, restricting access, with a brass plug. More than likely it is removed since DR350's are all old by now. Set the idle screw to where it just begins to push up on the throttle dohicky where the throttle cable(s) attach. This should give you a decent starting point for trying to start a dead bike where the adjustment screws are all out of wack.

If it starts or fires when you squirt fuel in manually then it may just be that your fuel screw is not turned out enough. If not, then you may have a clogged jet or other problems. Good luck and let us know what worked, should you get it running.

• Like 1

I am trying to get mine to come to life w/o spraying gas into the intake...

If your carburetor was set up properly you would not have any need to spray fuel into the intake....period.

I suggest you figure out why you aren't getting any fuel to the pilot circuit 👍

• Like 1

getting fuel now... just not the right setup.... trying to dial it in.. but also trying to find the proper way to start this bike...thanks for all the help!

the one question I have not been able to get an answer is which jet goes where... on the intake there are two small jets.. one is a .6 and the other is a 1.3.. i looked at scematics and it says the the 1.3 goes on the right... i think.. but when i took the carb aprt the first time.. it was the other way around... I dont know which way it goes... the PO might have switched it up..

the one question I have not been able to get an answer is which jet goes where... on the intake there are two small jets.. one is a .6 and the other is a 1.3.. i looked at scematics and it says the the 1.3 goes on the right... i think.. but when i took the carb aprt the first time.. it was the other way around... I dont know which way it goes... the PO might have switched it up..

The air bleed jet on the right, or center of the venturi, is for your main/needle jet circuit. It will be the bigger of the two jets. The one on the left is for the pilot circuit and will be the smaller of the two.

• Like 1

holy crap!! It lives!!! I need to adjust the air screw a bit.. its out like 5 or 6 turns..

after dirtmonkey gave me the directions on how to start it using the decomp lever... it started right up!!! This is my second rebuild on a 4 stroke... my first is a xt350 which has the decomp attatched to the kick starter... thanks all for helping and giving info!

holy crap!! It lives!!! I need to adjust the air screw a bit.. its out like 5 or 6 turns..

after dirtmonkey gave me the directions on how to start it using the decomp lever... it started right up!!! This is my second rebuild on a 4 stroke... my first is a xt350 which has the decomp attatched to the kick starter... thanks all for helping and giving info!

Great news!

5 or 6 turns out indicates you need to drop the pilot jet size down a size or two. Fuel screw should be out a 1/2 turn to 2 1/2 turns max

If you have a stock fuel tank the starting instructions are printed right on top of the tank 👍

IMO, having a properly working petcock is rule #1 in getting a DR started..... set it to prime while kicking and THROTTLE CLOSED!.🤣

well I replaced the petcock with one from a xt600... as for the instructions on the tank they are non existant... what is the stock size for a main jet? it has a supper trapp on it now...