new 1999 PW80 dad, Questions.

Hey guys,

Bought a 99 PW80 for my boys b-day. I have read a whole lot through searches here but still have questions. Any help would be aprreciated.

1. bike starts on choke and runs well. warms up and take off choke and will not idle without blipping throttle. Yeah, I guess I'll pull the carb off and clean.

2. I would like an owners manual and a service manual. Anything free online?

3. Swingarm bushings are pretty loose, where to get parts?

4. I am not familiar w/ oil injection, any hints?

5. how to tell if governor is adjusted to slow down bike?

I cant wait to get my boy riding 👍

Hey guys,

Bought a 99 PW80 for my boys b-day. I have read a whole lot through searches here but still have questions. Any help would be aprreciated.

1. bike starts on choke and runs well. warms up and take off choke and will not idle without blipping throttle. Yeah, I guess I'll pull the carb off and clean.

I cant wait to get my boy riding 👍

Replace the pilot jet. You can try to clean it but the hole is sooo small it just isn't worth the aggravation. A new pilot jest is about $3.00

Send me a PM with your email address

Check the TT Store: http://shop.thumpertalk.com/oem.asp?partcategory=34416&manufacturer=6&category=3&year=1999&model=879

Keep it. Just put straight gas in the tank, make sure the oil res is full (under the left side panel) and let the oil injection do its job

Pull the exhaust pipe and look for a washer between the pipe and cylinder. No washer, bike is not restricted. That is the only 'governor' I am aware of

• Like 1

Replace the pilot jet. You can try to clean it but the hole is sooo small it just isn't worth the aggravation. A new pilot jest is about $3.00

SLOW DOWN COWBOY first off before you take the carb off and apart check the air screw industry standard is at or about 1 1/2 turns out if thats close turn the idle up a tad this will more than likely remedy your problem . now if the bike wasnt runnng right ie bogging or stalling then i would say clean the carb but i dont think thats the issue here good luck Brad

Thanks,

pm sent.

I asked the previous owner about the oil and he pulled the gear box dipstick. The engine is puffing oil like a 2 smoke so I guess there is something in the resevoir. But I will double check. buy the pilot jet from TT? I've got a MCCT in my cart for the DRZ so That'll work out good.

SLOW DOWN COWBOY first off before you take the carb off and apart check the air screw industry standard is at or about 1 1/2 turns out if thats close turn the idle up a tad this will more than likely remedy your problem . now if the bike wasnt runnng right ie bogging or stalling then i would say clean the carb but i dont think thats the issue here good luck Brad

I'll try that first. I had to look up the part break down on the carb for the adjustments.🤣 When it stops raining, I'll do that. 👍

I didn't see any online pdfs, but to be honest spending $15-20 for one off ebay to me, is much better anyhow. I like to have the book in front of me when working on the bikes instead of going in the house with grease covered hands opening the pdf, finding the page, and reading it. I got a Clymers for $15 shipped on ebay and it is my first Clymers, I have to say they kinda suck compared to the shop manuals. Even though it was $15 I wish I would have just snagged a shop for the extra $10. I don't know if they are as well done as my KDX shop manual but ???

Pull the exhaust pipe and look for a washer between the pipe and cylinder. No washer, bike is not restricted. That is the only 'governor' I am aware of

There's also a throttle limiter screw on the twist... screw it in so they can't go as fast, screw it out to go faster.

There's also a throttle limiter screw on the twist... screw it in so they can't go as fast, screw it out to go faster.

Yeah, i read there was something else. what's the twist?🤣

I know , 👍

Yeah, i read there was something else. what's the twist?🤣

I know , 👍

The throttle twist... how you make the bike go. Look at the front of that (throttle, switch [start/run/off]) there should be a small screw off the front of it with a backing nut. Screw it out and in to limit the amount of twist for the kid. If there isn't one I think I got a 6mmx25mm screw/nut for it, I it into the local hardware store and tried a couple, think that's what it was.

The throttle twist... how you make the bike go. Look at the front of that (throttle, switch [start/run/off]) there should be a small screw off the front of it with a backing nut. Screw it out and in to limit the amount of twist for the kid. If there isn't one I think I got a 6mmx25mm screw/nut for it, I it into the local hardware store and tried a couple, think that's what it was.

I gotcha. that would make sense to limit throttle rotation at the grip.

I gotcha. that would make sense to limit throttle rotation at the grip.

Oh though I'm not sure if the 80 has one, sorry I keep talking about the 50 and you have the 80. They are similar I think but there might not be a limiter.

Oh though I'm not sure if the 80 has one, sorry I keep talking about the 50 and you have the 80. They are similar I think but there might not be a limiter.

Yeah, I dont see anything on the assembly that would limit throttle twist. I did however pull the float drain and spray carb clean through carb intake ( not that much while running) I adjusted air screw 1 1/2 out and bike still would not run. cleaned some more and played with throttle screw for 1/2 hour and got bike to start on choke, come off choke and idle, and accelerate without too much hesitation. I was able to ride bike around a bit. I dont think there is a spacer in the exhaust. engine seems pretty peppy to me even at 230 lbs. gonna pull the seat and check the oil tank. put some new gas in and give it a whirl.

Can someone tell me where the hose is supposed to go that comes off left side of carb. I cant find anywhere that it might go? My guess is no where but why not just plug carb???????????????

bike seems to run good now. I looked in the manual but no luck.

that hose is a carb vent DO NOT plug it it needs to be there run it down under the bike behind the motor near the swingarm pivot?? im guessing with the routing

that hose is a carb vent DO NOT plug it it needs to be there run it down under the bike behind the motor near the swingarm pivot?? im guessing with the routing

879_carburetor.gif

#27. goes straight up and is about 6" long. no vacuum or leakage so I'm sure your right. thanks.

879_carburetor.gif

#27. goes straight up and is about 6" long. no vacuum or leakage so I'm sure your right. thanks.

you wanna make sure that all vent/ drains face down if possible facing up could fill them with water thus filling carb/motor with water no good 👍

Might be good to snag a manual too... though the one I have (clymers) doesn't show cable or hose routing for some reason.

thanks to broken spoke, I have a Yamaha manual. He sent me a copy but it doesn't show either.

I replaced out all the cables on my daughter's bike, I figured the manual I had would show it so I didn't bother taking notes. I did some guesswork and so far, cept for the throttle cable binding at a point (stupid y cable), it seems fine ha... Is the one he sent a shop manual? Wondering how better/worse it is than the clymers.

On the governor question, i've got the same bike I just picked up for my son, when you wind it up, it flattens out on the top end, almost like it's got some kind of ignition governor?  I'd expect this 2 stroke to really crank at high RPM but it's flat and powerless.  Thoughts??  Is it just clogged up?  Time to burn out the exhaust?  I've checked for the restrictor plate in the header, it's already out.