common 04 problems???

I need a list of common problems on the 04s motor.. We have one apart and are trying to address the main issues to make it reliable. We have a new crank, piston kit, brand new head, ss valves and springs and oem chain. Anything I should know to look out for would be great.?

I need a list of common problems on the 04s motor.. We have one apart and are trying to address the main issues to make it reliable. We have a new crank, piston kit, brand new head, ss valves and springs and oem chain. Anything I should know to look out for would be great.?

Really fast riders broke the gearboxes in whoops.

The CDI units liked to fail.

But the work you are doing now should keep it alive for a season or 2 from now on...

The torque specs in the original manual were wrong for the cam caps and the oil drain bolt (and possibly others) if I recall correctly.

i have an 04 too. i rebuilt mine with ss valves to just recently, except for some reason at high rpm(like starts) like bike cuts out then comes back then cuts out and back again whilst at high rpm, although this only occurs when the bike is in gear, when i release my clutch the bike starts when clutch is in it cuts out. Any thoughts appreciated. Also did by no means want to high jack this thread

i have an 04 too. i rebuilt mine with ss valves to just recently, except for some reason at high rpm(like starts) like bike cuts out then comes back then cuts out and back again whilst at high rpm, although this only occurs when the bike is in gear, when i release my clutch the bike starts when clutch is in it cuts out. Any thoughts appreciated. Also did by no means want to high jack this thread

There is a switch that senses if the engine is in gear or not. When in gear it has a different ignition map in the CDI. My guess is there is something acting up with that.

There was many different versions of CDI´s in -04, and the following years were altered too.

Try a different one.

A word of warning though, the -04 and -05 don´t have the exact same flywheel and sensor, but a CDI box from any year should work. I think. Someone who knows for sure can fill in on this one. Primal?

There is a switch that senses if the engine is in gear or not. When in gear it has a different ignition map in the CDI. My guess is there is something acting up with that.

There was many different versions of CDI´s in -04, and the following years were altered too.

Try a different one.

A word of warning though, the -04 and -05 don´t have the exact same flywheel and sensor, but a CDI box from any year should work. I think. Someone who knows for sure can fill in on this one. Primal?

so a new CDI, but why would only the geared "map" by wrong. So i need a new CDI or at least try one , and any model will do? is there any way to trick the bike to use the neytrel map all the time like some dual sport bikes?

Thanks a lot DK

so a new CDI, but why would only the geared "map" by wrong. So i need a new CDI or at least try one , and any model will do? is there any way to trick the bike to use the neytrel map all the time like some dual sport bikes?

Thanks a lot DK

My guess is that you will lower the performance a significant amount if you run the neutral map all the time.

It is for easy starting and low sound level (when testing).

When I click into gear, after 1 second the idle rises and the bike becomes snappier.