Sign in to follow this  

Xr100 Does Not Shift Into Third Gear, It Just Acts As Neutral?

I have a chance to buy a 2000 Honda Xr100 for $200 but the problem is the bike runs great, shifts fine but when shifted into third gear it pops the bike into neutral, so you have to pop up the clutch twice into 4th gear. I have a Yz250 so I don't want to put it any money into it. Could the problem of the bike no shifting in to 3rd gear effect some thing else and brake the bike even more?

What could be wrong with the bike?

Nobody has "ANY" ideas............not even the XR100 experts......???🤣

Guess I'l take a few wild guesses......

First it's not jumping back to neutral..........cause it has to go back through second to get there. Sounds like just a case of no third gear engagement. Could be caused by the engagement dogs being sheared clear off third gear. Could be a badly bent shift fork no longer able to slide gear far enough to get dog engagement in third. Another, all the teeth gone off third gear..... though should make noise and see gear teeth when draining oil. A couple other things may be able to happen, but I'd have to look this tranny over a bit to see if they could apply here. They would include, a broken gear laying in the engine case, broken shift fork, or a snap ring popped out of it's groove. Also if someones had it apart........a gear flipped over the wrong way. Like I said not sure without studying, how many of these last guesses could apply to this tranny. How's that for sticking my neck out with some wild off the wall ideas............???🙂 I'm going to go back out and do what I do best ....... watch the grass grow!👍

Old School Al

Well if it constant happens I would get a complete tranny off ebay (usually $20) and put it in. Buy the gaskets, and take it apart and see if you can find the problem. But you can get nice complete trannys all day on ebay for cheap. I have 3 or 4 extra ones I bought, just for this type of problem. Before ebay, I had to buy gears from the dealer and it was extremly expensive, because it would always be two or three gears taken out. Also, the trannys on ebay usually come with the shift forks and drum.

What old school al said is pretty good. I would say it is a bent shift fork from a heavy footed person that started the issue and it now has grown. I would bet you have two items that are going on, the shift fork is bent and the dogs and pawls are rounded.... To fix it, you will have to split the cases and put in more than likely 2 gears and a shift fork. Actually pretty easy deal if you know what you are doing and not to expensive if you do it yourself....

Well if it constant happens I would get a complete tranny off ebay (usually $20) and put it in. Buy the gaskets, and take it apart and see if you can find the problem. But you can get nice complete trannys all day on ebay for cheap. I have 3 or 4 extra ones I bought, just for this type of problem. Before ebay, I had to buy gears from the dealer and it was extremly expensive, because it would always be two or three gears taken out. Also, the trannys on ebay usually come with the shift forks and drum.

Ebays a really good place for parts. But that's all I'd call a used tranny ................ a box of parts! I'd take it clear apart and go through piece by piece to make sure it didn't have problems of some type also. I'd do the same with the one that's in it now and figure out what's wrong. Would probably end up using the best of both to make one. These trannies are not that hard to figure out when they are damaged. Good experience for anyone that wants to work on thier scooter to figure out what is wrong............and figure out how to determine what shape the parts one is in! It's important to be more than a parts changer!👍

What old school al said is pretty good. I would say it is a bent shift fork from a heavy footed person that started the issue and it now has grown. I would bet you have two items that are going on, the shift fork is bent and the dogs and pawls are rounded.... To fix it, you will have to split the cases and put in more than likely 2 gears and a shift fork. Actually pretty easy deal if you know what you are doing and not to expensive if you do it yourself....

I'd say that could be a pretty good summary for what could have taken place. That's pretty much how I'd tend to go after it also.🤣

Old School Al

If your refering to buy each gear, they can cost any where between $35 and $70 each and the shift forks are about $35 each. (I always replace all three).

That's not cheap to me. But maybe I'm just cheap. (okay I am cheap), But anyway that's why I sugested getting a complete one off ebay for about $20.

Edited by socalxr

If your refering to buy each gear, they can cost any where betten $35 and $70 each and the shift forks are about $35 each. (I always replace all three).

That's not cheap to me. But maybe I'm just cheap. (okay I am cheap), But anyway that's why I sugested getting a complete one off ebay for about $20.

You're thrifty................it's sounds better!👍

Old School Al

I am all for the cheap and thrifty if you know what you are doing and do it yourself. If you are just learning what you are doing, that $100 on new parts is less expensive than doing it twice or possibly three times. I got no problem using used parts and I have no issue fixing the parts that are broken to re-use, but if you are someone that doesn't know a ton or doesn't have a lot of experience, the $100 is well spent and chalk it up to education expense.... Besides, there is a decent chance that that tranny for $20 on ebay has some issues to begin with and if you don't know what you are looking at in the first place, you might be out a lot more in time and money in the long run...

But cheap and thrifty is really good in my book...

If you are willing to tear the whole thing apart, you can get whole stacks of gears off of ebay for pretty cheap.

- Brad

I would buy it... like the others said if your willing to pull the engine apart then go for it.