Sign in to follow this  

somebody set me straight in a hurry

ok, got my 09 yz250. been changing the oil and getting ready to ride this spring. oil comes out golden brown but kinda milky brown. its brand new oil so im guessing its just aerated, hoping anyway.

filled oil right to the check plug and went out to the orv park and rode for about 2 hours, came back to the truck and pulled the check plug and nothing came out. leaned the bike all the way over and still nothing. i thought i was leaking, went home and cleaned off the where the plug and looked for leaks. filled with oil and warmed up and watched for leaks, it ran for a good 30 minutes. no leaks or drips but when i checked the plug the oil was down again! not all the way but a considerable amount.

this leaves me with two conclusions...

1. im using the wrong oil and burning it up?......i use this...

untitled234.jpg

its says 4stroke but my manual calls for yamalube 10w-40. this is all i could find that was 10w-40 yamalube.

2. its leaking into the antifreeze...cause wehre else could it go? but i checked the anti freeze and its good. good color, good level. so help? am i using the wrong oil or what?

Sorry I cant be very helpful but that is the right kind of oil as long as its non synthetic. I run 10w40 of either maxima or honda oil; theres nothing wrong with yamalube.

I just want to make sure I got it right you did an oil change, went riding, came back to drain the oil and nothing came out???? Did you put the right amount of oil? I put 650ml (???) in my 125. I just put how ever many ml as it says on the clutch cover (it should say like 850cm^3 for example.

I got confused at number 2 cause now your talking about antifreeze missing. If its at the same level then you didnt lose any, and your oil should be milky/gray when you drain it if your loosing coolant or antifreeze. Also I recommend running engine ice to keep your bike cooler.

The only other explaination is that it is leaking out of the tranny into the combustion side of the case(bad case gasket). Thats all i got, if you had a bad water pump seal the coolant would leak into the transmission case side and your oil level rises and the oil turns into a milky looking color.

after 2 hours of riding i took the check plug out, on the side. and there should be oil coming out straight up and down. i had the bike almost on its side and there was still no oil coming out. when i got home and took the drain plug out there was some oil left. so wasn't empty. i add my oil till it comes out the check plug, thats what the manual says to do, same thing as what u do technically.

and with the antifreeze...if im not having oil leak out onto the groun or out of the bike the only place it can go that i know of is through the water pump seal and into the antifreeze, so your antifreeze level would change or change colore but mine is good. so i guess forget i said anythong about antifreeze 👍

The oil chck plug is of great debate.. Many of us decided to just add 750 ml at oil change and run it.. That chk plug is inaccurate 🤣 However, if you came back and pulled the drain plug and nothing came out?? Im perplexed 👍

Synthetic or not, it makes no nevermind.

Keep in mind that this is the gearbox, not a crankcase, you can use any oil that works for a wet clutch and gears and bearings. This includes any of the following, I have tried them ALL, synthetic or non-synthetic;

-10W30, 10W40, 20W50, etc

-Gear oil, 70, 75 or 80 weight

-ATF, any type, type F, dexron III, dexron IV, etc

They all work and some have different feels to your clutch. Type F ATF is very grabby IMO and I chose not to use it just cause I did not like the feel.

I used mobil 1 10W30 for a while, it worked very well, but switched to mobil 1 ATF as it cleans out the tranny of clutch fiber and dirt coming in from the vent tube. Felt the same.

The check plug is the WRONG way to tell if you have the appropriate amount of oil or not. There have been many reports that the check plug indicates that you have oil, but not enough and people have burned out bearings quick using this method.

The check plug will tell you if you have oil, probably enough to get you home but not enough to give you a days ride, it's asking for trouble.

Measure and fill with what the gearbox is stamped for, in the YZ250's instance this is exactly 749ml. You can overfill this to 800 or so, but remaining oil will come out the breather hose.

Your loss of oil can be from the breather tube. When you tip the bike, ride hard uphill etc, oil will spit out slightly from the tube. Over a days ride you can lose enough to notice, all the more reason not to use the check bolt as there is barely enough oil in there already. Certainly not enough to compensate for loss through the breather tube.

Oil that is lost significantly almost always shows up through a leak on the case, and/or through the combustion chamber because of a bad right crankshaft oil seal. It will leak into the crank which goes into the cylinder and burns, usually you get smokey white exhaust, or heavy heavy smoke all the time when riding. You'll be fouling plugs.

Yamlalube is good stuff, but any 10W30 will work in the gearbox. If you want to use yamalube go ahead, or any of the other oils that I have mentioned. They all work well.

The key to making your bike last is with frequent oil changes, every 4-5 hours IMO.

so how would i tell if its leaking into the combustion side

Lots of smoke in exhaust, frequent plug fouls, bad performance attributed to poor jetting but it's really drinking your transmission fluid instead. Do not use check bolt. Measure out 750ccs and pour it in.

i always fill with check plug out till oil comes out, i put it back and add just a bit more. so either way im above the check plug.

i ran it in the garage on the stand for 20-30 mins and after i took the check plug out and the oil level was below the check plug. so leaning it over etc wasn't it. i had nothing dripping out of anything. the smoke isn't major but it smokes alittle only when revved up. its 38 degrees here today so cold....plug is black but isn't fouled...how else can i tell if its leaking into the crank?

it runs awesome, i dunno. maybe im not putting enough in and after it running i burn just enough to drop it beloow the check plug?? i can't really think its leaking into the combustion side, doens't smoke enough to make me raise an eyebrow, runs strong and hard...its less then a year old. its got less then 50 hours on it.

i always fill with check plug out till oil comes out, i put it back and add just a bit more. so either way im above the check plug.

i ran it in the garage on the stand for 20-30 mins and after i took the check plug out and the oil level was below the check plug. so leaning it over etc wasn't it. i had nothing dripping out of anything. the smoke isn't major but it smokes alittle only when revved up. its 38 degrees here today so cold....plug is black but isn't fouled...how else can i tell if its leaking into the crank?

Another thing to consider.. When you fill by using the check plug, the oil will come out there before its actually filled all the nooks and crannys in the bearings, gears, etc... So you fill, spill, plug and ride... Check later and🤣 Well, the oil has now filled all them nooks and crannies and is slung all about.. So, its gonna appear low.. Does this make sense??

I think I just hurt myself 👍

🙂

yeah thats a good thought to for when i ran it on the stand. really good actually.

but what do i think about riding it for 2 hours and having to damn near lay it on the groun to get oil to come out....

im worried cause im supposed to go riding in the dunes tomorrow, and won't have time to split case and get a gasket etc etc. and i dont think it runs poorly. so maybe ill add 750ml or whatever the case says and keep an eye on it durning the day?

yeah thats a good thought to for when i ran it on the stand. really good actually.

but what do i think about riding it for 2 hours and having to damn near lay it on the groun to get oil to come out....

im worried cause im supposed to go riding in the dunes tomorrow, and won't have time to split case and get a gasket etc etc. and i dont think it runs poorly. so maybe ill add 750ml or whatever the case says and keep an eye on it durning the day?

Do drain and add the 750 ml. You could dump it mid-day to see if nearly 750 ml comes out. Make sure your needle and most importantly your main jet are rich enough for the cold air temps and long WOT pulls at the dunes. 👍

Im willing to bet that if you put the 750 ml in then your problem will go away. I hear alot of people saying the check bolt is innacurate.

ok so i drained what i had after it idoled on the stand i got about 25 oz's. well that converted to cm3 or ml is 750ish. so i guess the check bolt is way off once the oil settles into all the nooks and crannies. thanks for hte help. still alittle skeptical but ill jsut keep an eye on it as the day goes.

ok so i drained what i had after it idoled on the stand i got about 25 oz's. well that converted to cm3 or ml is 750ish. so i guess the check bolt is way off once the oil settles into all the nooks and crannies. thanks for hte help. still alittle skeptical but ill jsut keep an eye on it as the day goes.

To prove it to yourself put in enough oil to overfill the check bolt. Drain it. Measure the Qty. I bet it is not 750 ml. 👍

Never trust the check plug. It is only a good indication if you have oil in the case and only after a few rides with 750ml of oil in it. If you take a quart of oil, it will actually use only 3/4 with 1/4 left in the container. Running an engine with only enough oil to come out of the check plug does your clutches no good, barely enough to cool and lubricate the clutch discs let alone the gear train.

I believe the oil check plug to be inaccurate, just add 750cc's next time.

had the same problem on my 05. few years ago. right side crank bearing seal was bad. dont have to split cases to change it. when my friend pulled it out it looked fine, but said it was hard and lost its pliability. popped the new one in and still was worried about oil loss for a while but every time i checked it 750ml came out. I was losing about 300ml every 2 hr. bike ran fine never fouled plugs.

To prove it to yourself put in enough oil to overfill the check bolt. Drain it. Measure the Qty. I bet it is not 750 ml. 👍

FWIW those that have done this found that when filling, the oil flows out the check bolt at @ 500cc's. That's only 2/3 of the 750cc's recommended in either the manual or on the clutch cover. The thing to remember here is that this is referenced as a "check" bolt and that this particular check bolt doesn't come close to being a tranny is full bolt.

• Like 1