Sign in to follow this  

How long do you warm your bike up?

Hey guys,

how long do you guys warm your bike up before riding?

i have a yz 250, jetting is stock, needle is stock, no air leaks, stock plugs

i notice though....when its cold...my bike will bog when i floor it while moving.

im thinking im just not warming it up enough, it runs way better in warm weather.

when it bogs, it eventually fouls the plug.

it fouled today, and i let it warm up for maybe 3 min...its about 50 degrees here. im thinking all my problem is, is not letting her warm up properly...

I pull the choke if it is a cold day... Let it idle for about 10 seconds and turn the choke off. Then I let it idle til the cylinder and radiators start to get warmish hot, then I clear it out and ride!

I pull the choke if it is a cold day... Let it idle for about 10 seconds and turn the choke off. Then I let it idle til the cylinder and radiators start to get warmish hot, then I clear it out and ride!

I also do the same thing especially if you have a forged piston. Always wait till the radiators are warm before twisting the throttle and clearing out the excess oil and fuel. You can go 1/4 throttle too but I have seen too many cold seizures from people who rev the crap out of their bikes to hurry up the warming up process.

Hey guys,

how long do you guys warm your bike up before riding?

i have a yz 250, jetting is stock, needle is stock, no air leaks, stock plugs

i notice though....when its cold...my bike will bog when i floor it while moving.

im thinking im just not warming it up enough, it runs way better in warm weather.

when it bogs, it eventually fouls the plug.

it fouled today, and i let it warm up for maybe 3 min...its about 50 degrees here. im thinking all my problem is, is not letting her warm up properly...

Bog means the bike is lean. This will not change until the air temperature rises despite how much you warm up your bike. I warm mine up for a good five minutes before riding. It may be too long but I like my motor HOT before I ride.

You say the bog leads to plug fouling. Are you sure the bog isn't a stutter or hesitation? That means it is too rich which would explain your plug foul.

I always use the choke to start my bike when it's cold then as others said let it idle for about 10 or so seconds then switch off the choke. I then let it idle till the rads are warm to the touch then ride around easy for a bit then let her rip.

Bog means the bike is lean. This will not change until the air temperature rises despite how much you warm up your bike. I warm mine up for a good five minutes before riding. It may be too long but I like my motor HOT before I ride.

You say the bog leads to plug fouling. Are you sure the bog isn't a stutter or hesitation? That means it is too rich which would explain your plug foul.

hmm

what would the difference be?

it seems that when its cold outside, and i get on the throttle hard, it just doesn't hit high rpm's. it sounds like its studdering for sure when i floor it.

its funny because when its warm, it only does it a little bit

also when its stationary, i can rev it to the moon, and shes fine. its only when i get going it happens until it 'clears out'

hmm

what would the difference be?

it seems that when its cold outside, and i get on the throttle hard, it just doesn't hit high rpm's. it sounds like its studdering for sure when i floor it.

its funny because when its warm, it only does it a little bit

also when its stationary, i can rev it to the moon, and shes fine. its only when i get going it happens until it 'clears out'

Cold will make it leaner and many will adjust their jetting for air temps. The adjustment is to richen for cold and lean for warmer temps. What's weird is that if it were too lean when cold (causing a bog) then your plug fouls. It would seem given the jetting you have you would hafta lean it some once above 70* or so.

Cold will make it leaner and many will adjust their jetting for air temps. The adjustment is to richen for cold and lean for warmer temps. What's weird is that if it were too lean when cold (causing a bog) then your plug fouls. It would seem given the jetting you have you would hafta lean it some once above 70* or so.

ya it def runs fine when its warmed up. its ONLY that first acceleration that gets me.

also since switching to the stock plug, it stays dry, today was the first time it fouled and was soaked with fuel.

it ran fine yesterday, and it was about 25 degrees warmed yesterday.

ya it def runs fine when its warmed up. its ONLY that first acceleration that gets me.

also since switching to the stock plug, it stays dry, today was the first time it fouled and was soaked with fuel.

it ran fine yesterday, and it was about 25 degrees warmed yesterday.

Then it is too rich at 50*. Try two turns out on your air screw. Stock is 1 turn out.

Then it is too rich at 50*. Try two turns out on your air screw. Stock is 1 turn out.

gotcha,

ill give it a shot next time its colder.

thanks for the info man, you've been very helpful while i dial in this issue man. i appreciate it.

its been hard for me to find the logic in the fact that im fouling, cuz im LEAN. argh

i let it idle/ few blips for couple mins and ride it slow for a min and let er rip.

I let it run until the exhaust is warm/hot and then I cruise around for a minute or two then I go a lap or two around the track before I really get on it.

I let it run and rev it softly until the cylinder/pipe are warm. Also until the top of the radiator is slightly warm then take it easy until I get to the track for a lap or two I want to ride, and let her rip!

edit: pretty much just like above^^^

gotcha,

ill give it a shot next time its colder.

Actually you should lean it out once it gets warmer. You are running it richer for cold temps but when the air temp rises your jetting is too rich and needs to be leaned. Start with the air screw as noted when the weather warms up.

I start mine and let in run on the choke till it starts to die which takes about a min or so, I then turn off the choke and clear it out lightly not reving the guts out till the rads start to get warm and finaly I ride around taking it easy till its all warm/cleared out. I had the same plug in this bike for a whole season and had forgot about it till I rebuilt the top end LOL. I love my yz

Choke on. Warm up for about 30 seconds. Choke off. Warm up a little more. Ride slowly until bike throttles crisply or until I think I am warm enough to crash and pick the bike up in the first corner. 👍

I too run it until the rad is warm, then I take it out to clear it's throat. After a couple throttle twists she's running like a full 2 stroke and ready for riding.