Sign in to follow this  

How do I get more power?

I recently purchased a 2007 Ricky Carimichael edition RMZ450. I find it has some bog when rolling on the throttle and not a lot of top end power. What are some modifications I can do to get more power?

JETTING.... check everywhere on the web and see what the common setup is and match it as a baseline. Sounds like it is off bad.

Or you could just buy a JD Jet Kit

Unless your like 6-8 300lbs the 07 has tons of power, if its running right.

I've raced all colors and 07 was the first Zuk I raced. I think they have tons of power, love them. I've been racing Zuks ever since. If you have low compression that would make it seem week. By what your describing the bike isnt 100%. I recomend a top end rebuild and carb adjustment.

Edited by mxn4life

1. Jetting. ProCircuit recommendation is an excellent starting point. Bogging when rolling on the throttle is usually too rich on the pilot circuit (adjust by the sticky thread at the top of the jetting forum).

2. Exhaust. The stock exhaust restricts top end power. Pretty much any aftermarket exhaust (slip-on or full) takes care of that.

3. Cams. If the bike still doesn't have enough power, cams are the step. They give the bike significantly more and longer top end pull. After that, a higher compression piston.

It's also worth checking over the bike to make sure everything is tight - clean the carb, check the valves, check the clutch plates, do a leak-down test or just replace the top end.