Sign in to follow this  

Chain tensioner screws stuck

My 200 is an 04 and I don't really need to do much right now w/ them but the tensioner bolts for the axle blocks are stuck in the swingarm. I can move the one maybe half a turn the other a little more and thats w/ socket and extension. So before I snap them off and have to deal w/ that BS anyone got any ideas how to get these loose?

As suggested, penetrating oil, in liberal doses, and continually work the bolts back and forth in very small increments - 1/4-1/2 turn - repeated in and out with very little force, until they start to move more freely.

Agreed, heat and lube make a big difference. Sometimes both are needed but make sure your lube/oil is not flammable. If you use heat make sure to keep moving it around and not let it sit on one spot too long as this could weaking/soften the metal too much on the swing arm.

you should drill weep holes in the rear portion of your swing arm - you'd be surprised at how much water gets trapped in there. You can squirt some kroil in from the backside afterward.

Next time put some anti-seize compound on the threads and this will never happen.

Take them all the way out and coat the threads with anti-seize compound.

I have a 04 125 sx with the same problem. One side turned easily and the other was completely stuck.

PB Blaster saved me

That's the way to go! Kroil, as previously mentioned, is the best I have ever used and they make it right down the road from me.

Don't bother with snake oil, working it bad and forth with out heating will just snap the bolt off and then you screwed.

This was an issue on all the KTM's about 6 years ago, the bolts were not lubed from the factory and the swing arm would fill with water, weep hole are needed.

Don't bother with snake oil, working it bad and forth with out heating will just snap the bolt off and then you screwed.

This was an issue on all the KTM's about 6 years ago, the bolts were not lubed from the factory and the swing arm would fill with water, weep hole are needed.

No it won't. Mine was stuck (one side), sprayed GT85 on it, left it for a few minutes while I had a cup of tea, then carefully worked it back and forth a fraction of a turn at a time and now it's perfect. No heat. Just care and knowing if you're overdoing it.

There's a post on KTMTalk about a controlled penetrating oil comparison and the best was a custom mix of 50/50 acetone and ATF.

That would be nice ill change my transmission oil AND fix the problem while at it

the swing arm would fill with water, weep hole are needed.

was this an issue on the 06 models? got a picture of where to drill the weep holes?

the right side is more prone to filling due to the holes for the brake line guides. You drill a 1/8" or so hole forward of where the axle block casting is welded to the swingarm tube. From memory its about 1.5" forward of the weld. This lets the water drain out or evap. Also works well to put in oil for the stuck bolt problem.