How to polish?

start by removing any casting marks (if cast) with an air tool.

with a rough grit sandpaper around 400 more or less depending on how scratched the surface is start sanding until the surface is smooth as you can get with that grit then

work up to the next grit 600 or so, then 800, 1000 , maybe 1500

then polish with aluminum polish, like semi chrome or mothers wheel polish until shiny

clean with lacquer thinner and either clear coat or just polish it up to a shine every one in a while

alright thanks alot, i just looked on Mothers site, should i get something like the PowerCone they have on there? just seems like that would be alot easier.

and also they have a PowerMetal Scratch Removing Polish, Mag and Aluminum Polish, and Billet Metal Polish. which one would work best. thanks for all the help i just dont want to go out and buy the wrong thing....money is tight.

It is much easier/ faster if you sand until 400, then use a cotton wheel with rouge on a bench grinder. Caswell sells polishing supplies, they also have a forumn to assist with questions. This method is how the professionals do it, it will turn your 5 hour polish job into 1/2 of work, and yield better results.

Pm if I can asssist in any way.

It is much easier/ faster if you sand until 400, then use a cotton wheel with rouge on a bench grinder. Caswell sells polishing supplies, they also have a forumn to assist with questions. This method is how the professionals do it, it will turn your 5 hour polish job into 1/2 of work, and yield better results.

Pm if I can asssist in any way.

There you go.

I polished Aluminum for a living for a few years, and that is basically how we did it. Only difference, we used a 240 grit greaseless compound on a cotton wheel (wore it down to 400 or finer), then Formax CR51 chrome polish on another cotton wheel.

Be prepared to be turned black while in the chrome polish part of the operation.👍

Was beautiful when done, but gawd that was a dirty job, never again.

Then your a slave to the polish. Turn your back on it for a minute and it's oxidized.

I like paint, or better yet, powder coat. Did you know there is a powder coat now that looks like chrome? Seen a set of Hardley wheels a while back done with it. Standing next to the bike, if you didn't know, you'd swear it was chrome.

There you go.

I polished Aluminum for a living for a few years, and that is basically how we did it. Only difference, we used a 240 grit greaseless compound on a cotton wheel (wore it down to 400 or finer), then Formax CR51 chrome polish on another cotton wheel.

Be prepared to be turned black while in the chrome polish part of the operation.🤣

Was beautiful when done, but gawd that was a dirty job, never again.

Then your a slave to the polish. Turn your back on it for a minute and it's oxidized.

I like paint, or better yet, powder coat. Did you know there is a powder coat now that looks like chrome? Seen a set of Hardley wheels a while back done with it. Standing next to the bike, if you didn't know, you'd swear it was chrome.

What he said!!!... you can also clear powdercoat over polished aluminum:thumbsup:👍

I used "londonbkokblokin"'s method. Wet sand with 320 grit sand paper, then with 800 or 900 grit. The more steps you do, the better it turns out with no scratches. I used 320 then 900 and came out with this. Oh and, polished with Mothers Aluminum and Magnesium Polish.

DSC00688.jpg

I'm just showing that you don't have to do 20 steps like some people do. I actually do not recommend polishing your frame. I ended up sanding it back down and leaving it unpolished. It looks great at first, but it becomes a hassle having to re-sand it and polish it after every ride. Even if it's for 5 minutes. Good luck!

400-600-1000grit. I actually only do 600 and 1000 if there are no deep scars. Buff wheel from home depot that you can put on a drill. The tub of blue magic is awesome. Use a drill with a cord because they have much more power when loaded down. Aluminum loves pressure and heat while doing the initial polishing. Light pressure at the end and there you go.