Sign in to follow this  

Do you obey the signs?

So I'm having a chat on another off-road forum and the discussion is about the delayed opening of a trail system due to an extended wet winter. This starts a whole debate about peoples' right to use public lands and the "damn tree-huggers." I said that I guess I call myself a tree hugger.

I believe that we should both use and protect our lands for future generations. Don't get me wrong, I'm a dirtbiker to the end! But.................

I also believe that we have a responsibility to be stewards of the land, controlling our behaviors, and not condemning our prodigy to a life of have-not-isms because of our lack of decency. I will routinely scold my riding partners if I see them disreguarding BLM or forest service signs to protect a particular riding area. In my short lifetime, I've spent a good part of it studying our beautiful world, and just how bad us idiots can it up. I didn't move to Idaho with the inherited "Its our public land, and I'll do what I want with it. Piss on you!" --type of attitude that seems prevalent here. I enjoy this area and what it has to offer, but I also recognize the need for management. Hillbilly Bob certainly doesn't.

Whats your opinion?👍

Edited by Ud_Luz
Circumventing.

Yes, I obey the signs. I don't think of myself as being even close to what is generally considered to be a "tree hugger" but I do believe in protecting the land (and the trees 👍 ) for future generations.

Yes, obey the signs or open/close dates for select trails. I don't want to be the cause for potential damage and eventual closing of the trails. Can't give the environmentalists any more ammo.

I definately dont consider myself a treehugger but i always stay on the marked trails. I dont think its smart to give the motorcycle hating environmentalists ammo for taking even more of our land.

So I'm having a chat on another off-road forum and the discussion is about the delayed opening of a trail system due to an extended wet winter. This starts a whole debate about peoples' right to use public lands and the "damn tree-huggers." I said that I guess I call myself a tree hugger.

I believe that we should both use and protect our lands for future generations. Don't get me wrong, I'm a dirtbiker to the end! But.................

I also believe that we have a responsibility to be stewards of the land, controlling our behaviors, and not condemning our prodigy to a life of have-not-isms because of our lack of decency. I will routinely scold my riding partners if I see them disreguarding BLM or forest service signs to protect a particular riding area. In my short lifetime, I've spent a good part of it studying our beautiful world, and just how bad us idiots can f@@k it up. I didn't move to Idaho with the inherited "Its our public land, and I'll do what I want with it. Piss on you!" --type of attitude that seems prevalent here. I enjoy this area and what it has to offer, but I also recognize the need for management. Hillbilly Bob certainly doesn't.

Whats your opinion?👍

I have seen these types here in Idaho. They are cheating themselves, and the rest of generations to come. The attitude needs to change all over or we surely will be lock out of everywhere!

There are numerous reasons for delayed openings due to seasonal conditions. Some trails may be subject to mass erosion if moist water-bars are run over, or trenches in hill climbs. Foliage may not get an appropriate growth cycle, or immature seeds may be scattered. Also, migratory patterns of game may be disrupted.

Respect the land, and we will earn the respect we deserve for our sport.

i dont like how people close riding areas

we are doing nothing compare to housing development which takes up heaps of space

I obey logic first. Then the signs. 👍 And if they contradict, well take a guess🤣

We are lucky enough to have the trail remain motorized. Disregard the signs and the trail status will change and then what have you accomplished? At least they're open during some part of the season. Check the FS or BLM websites before you go so you know the current status of the trail before you leave/plan your ride. 👍

I also believe that we have a responsibility to be stewards of the land, controlling our behaviors, and not condemning our prodigy to a life of have-not-isms because of our lack of decency.

IMHO, this is the right attitude and also represents the attitude of most dirtbikers and outdoor enthusiasts. What the "tree huggers" don't get is that those of us that actually get out into the woods are the people who truly care about the woods. Similar to how the anti-hunting crowd fails to realize that hunters are the group who started the push to preserving wildlife and habitat, not some goofball sitting in a downtown coffee shop. Who preserves more wetlands for ducks and migratory birds, the Sierra Club or Ducks Unlimited?

To continue on on this topic...Everytime I go riding a carry a large plastic bag and pick up garbage around the staging areas. I fill a bag every time. I've put out smoldering campfires and removed the fire rings. Filled in holes from people leveling their RV's. For the most part I only leave hydrocarbons and tracks, and take far more out. I wish other people could adopt an attitude of preservation.

I generally obey the signs. I consider myself a 'tree hugger' in the sense that I want to take care of the land and I love the trees. I don't like some of the actions that some people take to close down areas that have been open before, but there is a problem now - too many people and too little land - and we need to find solutions for that problem.

I don't agree that land where riders have used the trails and used them wisely should be shut down, but there are trails where there are erosion problems - I saw one of my favorite short trails that has this problem. There are are also places where there are water crossings that cause other problems.

So, for the people who think it is their right to mess up trails, to cause erosion, to break laws whether you agree with them or not - I disagree, and we had better not meet on the trail because I will report you.

I obey them. If you ignore one, two, what is the point when you start to obey.

Steal 'just an apple'? Steal a million dollars? What is the difference?

Run a stop sign? A stop light? Drive the wrong way on the highway?

Absurd, I know. The point being, either you are a scofflaw or you are not. There is no such thing as sort of pregnant.

I obyey the trail signs. But let's be realistic, our riding damages nothing compared to urban sprawl.

MAX!!!