Sign in to follow this  

Super New

Hey, I bought me a yz-250 during the winter and will be out on it sunday for the first time!! Small problem don't know much what I'm doin.

Just trying to settle the bike down for winter, I spent well a good couple hours tryin to kick start it. Cut my shin up pretty good, thats learning the hard way. Then I found this site, turns out we have to lean the bike over, shake it up, kick it through with the kill switch, and then one or two kick start it.

So I'm headin out sunday and not even sure how to set up the premix yet, I'm super new. But would love to here any tips ridin, maintenance, that someone who knows very little about the whole offroad deal let alone 2-strokin might not think of??

So thanks, and it's my first post so Hi everyone

get a ratio rite,for mixing the pre-mix, can get one at any dirtbike shop. Use a good quility premix. Mix 32:1 for starters and see if the bike spooges and where the jettin is. What year is it? I would clean the carb sinse its been sitting. And mae sure your on the pipe, cant lug tese bikes unless its set up for it. I would also drain the fuel in it and use fresh fuel

I think I have a few scars on my shin from the wide pegs I had to install, high compression head, and the day I thought it MIGHT start wearing flip-flops.

Welcome!

I would mix your fuel at 32:1 and nto change from that unless you have a real good reason to.

get a ratio rite,for mixing the pre-mix, can get one at any dirtbike shop. Use a good quility premix. Mix 32:1 for starters and see if the bike spooges and where the jettin is. What year is it? I would clean the carb sinse its been sitting. And mae sure your on the pipe, cant lug tese bikes unless its set up for it. I would also drain the fuel in it and use fresh fuel

YZ250's do not have to be set up to be lugging. With him being a newbie, getting on the pipe will not make him a fast learner. You do not have to be on the pipe on a 250, only a 125. You can learn staying in the low to mid range on a 250 and once you get to know how the bike itself is, you can get on the pipe to really feel the rush of power.

I would actually mix the first few tanks leaner on oil. if you have not rode a 2t much you are likely not going to keep it tapped very long or often. I would be more in the 40-50:1. make sure the filter is clean AND OILED. the filter is not worth a foot if it is dry. keep your lever perches less then tight, as you will prolly tip over a few times and this will let your levers move instead of break.

YZ250's do not have to be set up to be lugging. With him being a newbie, getting on the pipe will not make him a fast learner. You do not have to be on the pipe on a 250, only a 125. You can learn staying in the low to mid range on a 250 and once you get to know how the bike itself is, you can get on the pipe to really feel the rush of power.

if its anything like the 250 i test rode, getting on the pipe might launch him somewhere. not new to bikes at all, have 3 in my garage right now. but i am new to 2 strokes and hitting that pipe was an eye opener, so much so i decided to get a 125 to start out.

Mix the gas/oil ratio at what the oil manufacture recommends......with high test pump gas.........and get a ratio rite from your local shop. I personally run Golden Spectro @ 50:1 and just replace my 01's stock crank with well over 1000 hours. (still good BTW ) Listen for pinging. If yours pings get race gas.

would love to here any tips ridin, maintenance, that someone who knows very little about the whole offroad deal let alone 2-strokin might not think of??

Wow- can you say can of worms! Ha! I say just figure out how to start it and go out and ride. Plenty of questions will come to you- just post them as they come- just ride (although oil in the gas and a clean and oiled filter ARE probably the two most important things)

Hey, so I thought I'd let you know how the ridin was. And my small newb blunders maybe it will help some if it doesn't just make me seem dumb.

For one I brought a table spoon to measure my oil mixture 8 gallons 32:1 is 17ish tablespoons, i definately lost count and spilt all over. ahaha bad idea.

But ultimately the bike didn't start. I had pulled and cleaned the spark plug and put a heat gun on it but no luck even after a couple big hill start efforts. I relized today finally that in my rush I hadn't put the uhh "rubber ish top piece" back on the spark plug. So I haven't tried since I noticed this but I will when it warms up this week it.

Still I did some biking on a giovani-one of the better super cheap chinese bikes. It has terrible rear suspension, useless rear brake, and very stiff clutch--but turned out to be lot's of fun handling anything I tried with it. I ride sportbikes so I figured dirt would transfer to the street or track well and not the otherway around, but I was quite comfy. So after this soft intro I can't wait to try the probally too fast 2000 yz250.