Sign in to follow this  

Frame Thread Stripped/Cross-threaded? Need Help!

if possible run the bolt in from the other side of the hole ie backside of the frame all the way out till the threads of the bolt are showing use some light oil when you come to the rough spot in the threads work the bolt back and forth you should feel the threads lossen up a bit go to the hardware store and buy yourself some metric taps if nesscessary should be a m6 tap

GOLDEN RULE always start bolts and nuts by hand make sure theyre threading in straight before you apply force grasshopper !!!

if possible run the bolt in from the other side of the hole ie backside of the frame all the way out till the threads of the bolt are showing use some light oil when you come to the rough spot in the threads work the bolt back and forth you should feel the threads lossen up a bit go to the hardware store and buy yourself some metric taps if nesscessary should be a m6 tap

GOLDEN RULE always start bolts and nuts by hand make sure theyre threading in straight before you apply force grasshopper !!!

Thanks a lot!

And just when I had enough money to get my wheels powdercoated. 👍

yeah always make sure with any bolt that its threaded right before tighnening

as said use some oil and be patient

make sure the thread it clean before putting it in

WHOA WHOA WHOA.... I may only be 18 BUT!! if you can pull that bolt back out and it's not screwed... just take it in to your local hardware store, get the correct tap and re-tap the hole with that, not that bolt.

And I believe that is an M8 not an M6, M6 is much smaller, like what you would use to secure your plastics. 👍

Also, I agree with that last part, start it by hand, and if it gets stuck take it back out and start over.

Yeah re-tap and you should be good to go. Taps aren't hugely expensive chances are you will need the same one again down the line anyways. Just sucks when you do that sort of thing before a ride and the stores are closed. 👍

WHOA WHOA WHOA.... I may only be 18 BUT!! if you can pull that bolt back out and it's not screwed... just take it in to your local hardware store, get the correct tap and re-tap the hole with that, not that bolt.

And I believe that is an M8 not an M6, M6 is much smaller, like what you would use to secure your plastics. 👍

Also, I agree with that last part, start it by hand, and if it gets stuck take it back out and start over.[/QUOte

listen to nighthawk hes apparently the professional maybe he likes to cross thread his bolts too. hey professor whats the thread pitch on those m8 bolts?? 🤣

Actually, driedupmotocrosser's method worked. Thanks! I just screwed it from the back (insert "that's what she said", or "he said" joke) and it was a little hesitant at first but I kept going. I backed it up, then put it through the other side and worked like a charm! I used good ole' WD-40. Thanks again for all the help! Bike is back to normal and waiting for the rims to be powdercoated soon.

That was better than retapping. Running a tap through from the damaged side would likely have been crossed too and ruined the hole.

Bike is back to normal and waiting for the rims to be powdercoated soon.

Damn right, thats what Id do. Get my rims powdercoated. Screw buying tools and learning to use them.

you know you can make a tap as well if needed.. take a bolt thats the same threat pitch and diameter and cut two grooves on the end of it (opposite then each other) and thread it in

And I believe that is an M8 not an M6, M6 is much smaller, like what you would use to secure your plastics.🤣

Also, I agree with that last part, start it by hand, and if it gets stuck take it back out and start over.[/QUOte

listen to nighthawk hes apparently the professional maybe he likes to cross thread his bolts too. hey professor whats the thread pitch on those m8 bolts?? 🙂

Better safe then sorry, and i meant only to give him sound advice... because your idea will only work SOME of the time...

no need to say im a know-it-all... when i know i know very little. I just didn't want him to destroy that sub frame mount just because there was a faster way to do it then the way i suggested. and i'm not sure on this... but it may be a 1.25 or a 1.5 for the thread pitch.... 👍