Sign in to follow this  

Red vs Black

My friend has a 1984 xr500r and the frame is due for repainting.

I said paint it red again it still has the original paint but he said he wanted to paint it black. so we decided to take this to TT to see what you guys think.

I vote black, doesn't look as trashed when it starts getting dinged up and dirty.

id go black aswell for the same reason what agent said. i went with a dark gray, hammer coat finish on my old bike. looked super great and really tough.

I like the red. I have an 85 600 and I like the original look of the flash red frame on these bikes. It is his bike, though, so whatever floats his boat and makes him satisfied with it.

and you also have to take in account that if you do scratch the paint it would be better to go with the stock color. or else when scuff the paint youll have red marks all over...unless you sand blast it and start from scratch. and then go what ever your heart desires. you could even have a pink piggy...i dont recommend that...unless you want people to think your a girl.

he said which ever color has the most votes in 3 days is what color he is going to paint it

Red. If he doesn't strip it down to bare metal it will look like chit as soon as it starts to get dinged up and the red starts showing through.

I wouldn't strip it, unless powder coat or auto finish is available. Rattlecan on the frame will never hold up worth a darn.