It gets the best of us - Arm Pump Study

I posted this in general and here in Health and Fitness.

This is being posted from another bike forum. Anyway, this is a real study so please if you want to participate take it seriously.

===============================================

Arm Pump….what’s the deal? I want to hear from you.

As a first year student in the Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine program at the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine in Toronto I have been given the opportunity to conduct a research project. After being introduced to the motocross community over 10 years ago, I’ve always been extremely curious about ‘arm pump’, (scientifically known as chronic exertional compartment syndrome (CECS) of the forearm). The lack of information recorded about this condition was surprising to me. Although it occurs quite commonly within motorcycle sports, outside of the industry it is considered to be extremely rare and only a few cases have been documented within medical literature. In order to prevent or decrease the occurrence of arm pump, a more in-depth understanding of the behavioural, lifestyle, dietary, or other contributing risk factors is necessary. The purpose of my study is to collect motocross racers’ experiences with CECS and the possible factors that may affect it. This will provide better direction for research, prevention or treatment alternatives for those who suffer from CECS.

To gather the necessary information needed to learn more about arm pump I have designed a survey asking a variety of questions. This is where I need YOUR help! You can complete the survey by clicking on the following link:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/armpumpsurvey

What I learn as a result of this study may benefit all of those that race within the motorcycle industry by providing the information needed to further research non-invasive procedures that could help prevent and/or alleviate CECS.

Thank you for your time, if you have any further questions/comments/concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Pamela Moore, BA, ND (candidate)

Email: pmoore@ndnet.ccnm.edu

Phone: (519) 410-8624

• 2 months later...

sorry doc (to be), but i think your barking up the wrong tree. armpump is a result of lack of technique and/or seat time, and nervousness or tenseness, dehydration, improper nutrition or lack of cardio... which come from a lack of seat time or being committed to a sport that takes alot of committment. sorry to waste your time, but the only guys that are gonna participate are the ones that want you to cure a disorder that you can't. sorry. just my two cents, don't mean to offend.