Sign in to follow this  

kx 250 choke problems

The choke on my kx seems to only come about half way up and whenever I let go of it it closes alomsot like its air pressure sucking it back down. Its impossible to get the choke to stay up on the thing any ideas as to why?

Wow, I read this thread Saturday night and then went riding Sunday to have this exact thing happen. I am planning on tearing into it tomorrow but in the meantime, Chokey, do you have any info for me? Is it just a matter of taking it apart, cleaning it up, and putting it back together, or am I going to need to replace something? Thanks.

I've seen several threads about chokes that wouldn't stay up but until recently had never experienced it. I didn't notice what year bike you have but the choke in the following pic's came from a 98' KX 250 and is the same one used on the 07'. It should be similar to most chokes used with Keihin PWK carbs, so maybe this will help others too. Here's what I found.

The choke (plunger mechanism) is spring loaded so that when in the closed/off position the spring holds the plunger against it's seat. I suspect it's the spring that you feel pulling it back down.

Here's the choke in the closed position, notice the spring.

081.jpg

Open with the spring compressed.

083.jpg

When you pull up the choke there is a detent that holds it open. That detent consists of a raised portion on the shaft that rests on top of what I'll call fingers. I think when these plastic fingers become worn or weak they no longer will hold the choke in the open position.

In the open position with the rubber dust boot rolled up so that you can see the fingers and the raised portion of the shaft.

085.jpg

My fix for this was to wrap a very small wire around the fingers and tighten it enough that the fingers would once again hold the choke when pulled to the open position and yet still allow it to be closed.

My fix

086.jpg

The wire was small enough the boot fit back over it and so far this fix has worked perfectly. Or for about $25 you can get a new choke assembly. 👍

• Like 1

My dads kx250 does the same thing. I just sinched the smallest zip-ty I had around the dust boot. It holds it perfectly and is as easy to use as stock.

there is a reason for this spring loaded. it seems to function as security to not be forgotten that the choke is still open, thats why its spring loaded closes automatically.

never had a problem starting with just one open pulll and close it back and kick the bike