Is the SDG speed mini really that bad?

Hi Guys! My 14yo son just picked up a 2004 SDG 107, that has maybe 4 hrs of riding on it. Now that he got it, i'm reading that not many people really dig them. Are they that bad? It will mainly see backyard use, no pro racing, just something to have fun with. Please enlighten me, thanks!

there not that bad just keep the oil changed check and make shure all bolts r loctited

might want to consider a rim lock aswell the biggest complaint ive heard is parts can be hard to find without the internet and the 1 down 3 up shift drum will get wore out overtime

I have the same bike. I replaced the motor with a lifan 125 because the stock motor's kicker gear broke in half. Front suspension is pretty bad but the rear is adjustable which is nice. The 04 has the 10 inch front wheel which totally sucks need to spend the money and get a 12 inch. Other then that enjoy the SDG!

Thanks for the replies. Well, the first bike ended up being a bust, bike had issues and would not start. My boy kept looking, and found this.

pit-bike0001.jpg

It's an 04 SDG Speed Mini 107. The tranny had the upgraded shaft done, avalanche racing resi shock and coil, tag bars, pro circuit Ti pipe, Asv levers, upgraded front 12" wheel, uni filter, extra set of plastics with Monster graphics, fiveO chain guide, extra set of super moto tires. He picked it up for $500, he's pretty jazzed!

• 1 month later...

after the motor is upgraded it is somewhat indestructable...not Honda but ok...I have a SDG 107 in my Tech 5 frame ...it has areground cam and a AHP hi compression piston plus BBR exhaust...it scoots pretty good and twist up well......the only downside I have is the crappy gear spacing...other than that ROOST ON