Gas cap swap?

I just bought an OEM DRZ 400s gas tank for my sm. The tank is coming off a Cali bike with the silver gas cap. The seller did not have the key for the cap, he sold it with the other parts of the bike. He stated that he has the number off the key fob for the key and will include that number. The cali cap is currently locked on the tank. My question is, if I drilled out the cylinder on the Cali cap and was able to get it off, would my non-cali cap from my DRZsm fit on this tank? I looked on the parts fiche and do not see any different part numbers for the tank, however there are different part numbers for the different gas caps. I guess I could order the key from a local Suzuki dealer based on the key code #.

To the best of my knowledge the caps are NOT interchangeable. I'd order a key for it. If the guy you are buying the tank from has the number it is possible you can get the key while you are waiting for the tank. Worth a shot.

I might have found it.......There is 2 different model #'s for the different tanks. They are not shown, only listed as alternatives 👍 Dammit! I guess I will be needing a locksmith, or ordering a key from the dealer based on the number that the seller gives me...

In my garage pics I compare the two tanks. When I bought my Cali-tank, there was no mention it was a Cali-tank, and no cap either. A very nice TT member helped me out with a Cali-gas cap. They have different fuel vent systems as well. It stinks needing two different key for yor bike, ignition and fuel cap. Good Luck.

• 3 months later...