Sign in to follow this  

Q-Stealth vs stock?

Is the Q-stealth a lot quitter than the stock exhaust? Where I live we don't have any requirements for silencers. But I would like my bike to be quitter.

Do you guys think it's worth the money for the amount it lowers the noise.

Also curious about this. I've heard putting an aftermarket silencer on the bike will give it more on the top-end and wondered if it applied to the q-stealth as well

the stock hockey stick style is the quietest out there, dont know about the 09 models stock unit tho

Wait? So you're saying that the Q-Stealth doesn't lower the sound???

I heard that the Q-Stealth is only marginally quieter than the '09, '10 XC exhaust. Maybe this puts it even with the old "hockey stick".

The DB Snorkel is MUCH quieter than anything else I've heard, costs only $85, doesn't affect performance or jetting, and can be easily removed.

http://www.thedbsnorkel.com

The stock pipes and silencers on the KTMs are very good. It takes clever marketing and reviews in magazines supported by manufacturers to sell expensive stuff.

I forgot to mention that the Q-Stealth DOES produce more power than stock but only slightly and mostly on the top end. Who needs more top end on a 300?

I am running the Q-stealth and just had a decibal check yesterday. It measure 89 db which is very low. Most stock pipes and even aftermarkets will read 92db - 96db. However, decibals are tricky cuz it's not loudness. It's how far that sound will travel. To the ear, my Q-Stealth is NOT any quieter. All of my friends told me so that ride behind me. So in my opinion, it is not worth the money if you're trying to "quiet" your bike to the human ear.

Thanks guys! I'm glad I got your input before I pulled the trigger, and spent the money.

I'll consider the snorkel.👍

The stealth is only a couple db less, more power ??? doesn't fmf say that about all there stuff. PC's woods muffler is just as quite.

I just put the Q Stealth on mine last week and that sucker is quiet compared to my stock and I can swear there is more bottom end (which I didnt like) Also, if you get this sparky, make sure they give you the spacer and the longer bolt. They didn't include it on mine

Rode an MX track yesterday with the Db Snorkel over the stock 2010 pipe. The noise from the expansion chamber is the only sound you hear from the bike. I snuck up on my friend a couple times and we almost collided in a corner cuz he didn't know I was there. There were some REALLY fast riders on MX 4strokes and I could hear them coming 2 turns back.

I just put the Q Stealth on mine last week and that sucker is quiet compared to my stock and I can swear there is more bottom end (which I didnt like) Also, if you get this sparky, make sure they give you the spacer and the longer bolt. They didn't include it on mine

I do have mine correctly installed, but I still don't think it is much quieter than stock. I would not buy it if I could do it over. It does look cooler though...kind of like a 4-stroke silencer.

It does look cooler though...kind of like a 4-stroke silencer.

I think it's too big and looks too much like a 4stroke silencer. Of course looks don't matter to me since I have a Db Snorkel:)

My old man put one on his 2010 300 XC-W and his came in at 83 db during the sound check for the 24-hour at Starvation Ridge last fall. It's definitely quieter than the black Powerparts FMF I put on my 2009 250 XC-W. When were out riding I can hardly hear him until he gets pretty close. It is quite a bit bigger than my mine, though quieter is always better, especially if the performance is better.

IMO...my stock silencer on my '08 300 XC-W is a tad quieter than my Q-Stealth.

I bought the Q-Stealth because I wanted a spark-arrested silencer...the stock can doesn't have a sparky.

The one caveat I'll throw out here...if you let the packing deteriorate in the stock can, it will get pretty loud and overall performance will suffer. A fresh tight packing and she's all whispers again!👍

-Jay

I ran a Q stealth on my 09 300xc at the ISDE qualifier last year. It blew 86 db at tech and the engine ran a bit stronger than the stock. It was also quieter than the stock ktm silencer which blew 93 at tech. Both silencers were new at the time .

How do you KNOW the Q Stealth ran stronger than stock? By the different noise or on the dyno? Just wondering.

I just ordered a stealth. I bought my bike used and it has a SST pipe with shorty2 on it. Talk about loud!

How do you KNOW the Q Stealth ran stronger than stock? By the different noise or on the dyno? Just wondering.

That would be the good old seat of the pants dyno...

I rode them both back to back, it was kinda obvious which was better...