Sign in to follow this  

2001 WR250F wont start need help!!!!

:banghead:i have a 2001 WR250F that wont start... its been siting for the fall/winter and now wont start. every time i turn the gas on it just comes out of the carb in buckets. ive tried keeping the gas off and use starter fuild but that dosent work ether. i tried a new spark plug. i cleaned the carb before i let it sit so i dont know if thats why. please help im trying to sell it today and ii need it to start!!!

Plastic gas tanks allow the volitile items to permiate thru, leaving fuel that won't burn left in the tank. First thing is remove the tank and rinse it out with fresh gas. While there is still a little in there, turn on the petcock to flush that out. Turn it off and on to make sure its working correctly and shutting off the flow.

Probably there is trash stuck in the float needle in the carb. Do this work over the bench with a clean rag so you don't loose the parts, they are small. Remove the carb, then the bowl. There is a stainless pin running across the float that the float pivots around. Knock the pin loose and hold the float in place while removing the pin. Remove the float, the needle will come with it, it's on a tang on the float. Don't bend the tang because that's what sets the float level in the carb. Squirt some carb cleaner thru the carb fuel inlet to blow out any trash in there and if possible try to catch that in a bowl or something so you can see what comes out to confirm trash. Also check the tip of the needle since it's a rubber point on there to seal up. If theres a worn ring or groove there, it needs replaced. Sometimes you can soften it back up by squirting some carb cleaner on a rag and rubbing the rubber tip. Note: if you break the tip off, you're done, new one needed. As long as the bowl is off, blow carb cleaner thru the pilot and main jets and go back and blow compressed air thru there as well to clean out the circuits.

Then slap it all back together. Put some fresh gas in the tank, not a lot. I pull the bowl drain and make sure that's open, then open the drain and turn on the petcock to make sure its flowing gas and shut off the petcock to make sure that shuts off. Close the drain, turn the petcock on, and fire it up. Should run fine unless there's something else wrong. Check the spark plug while the tank's off and make sure it is clean and firing, should be a hot blue spark.

One other thing, a WR has a reserve setting on the petcock, so make sure you clean out both the "ON" and "Reserve" positions on it. A lot of times nobody uses reserve and mud plugs up the Reserve setting so when people turn that on, it drops mud straight into the carb causing the problem you're having.

Good luck.

good info ! 👍 dont think i could leave a bike sitting for a week never mind months !! lol..