Sign in to follow this  

Upgrade 200 to 300??

Just listed my 09 200XCW for sale...Have gotten to be a much better rider than last year and looking for more power for hills, sand, etc...

Leftover 2009 300 XCW here for a good price...How happy will I be on this bike coming off of 200? Obviously more power but handling???

Txs!

I have never ridden a 300, but have a 200 and 250. They are different beast. The 300 "should" rev slower, have more tq, more hp, fell heavier (actual weight is minimal if I remember correctly). Most would agree that a 300 has the ability to get you in and out of bad situations very easy. acidently wiskey throttle will send you into a tree a little quicker on a 300 compaired to a 200. I would think you should ride your 200, a 250 and 300 back to back. If I was less fat I would be all over a 200 for single track. I do hit some dunes and that makes me want a 300. But my 250 is pretty well modified (sans porting) and for me is the ticket. What kind of ridding do you do mostly or what is your favorite terrain? How big are you? How much growing do you have left to do in size and ability? Your best bet is to try and ride a few KTM's and see what you like.

I have never ridden a 300, but have a 200 and 250. They are different beast. The 300 "should" rev slower, have more tq, more hp, fell heavier (actual weight is minimal if I remember correctly). Most would agree that a 300 has the ability to get you in and out of bad situations very easy. acidently wiskey throttle will send you into a tree a little quicker on a 300 compaired to a 200. I would think you should ride your 200, a 250 and 300 back to back. If I was less fat I would be all over a 200 for single track. I do hit some dunes and that makes me want a 300. But my 250 is pretty well modified (sans porting) and for me is the ticket. What kind of ridding do you do mostly or what is your favorite terrain? How big are you? How much growing do you have left to do in size and ability? Your best bet is to try and ride a few KTM's and see what you like.

Thanks....

225lbs...ride trail, HS and some rookie MX...

Thanks....

225lbs...ride trail, HS and some rookie MX...

I'm the same weight as you and the 300 has all the power I could ever want and probably more than a noob like me should have:lol:

The best thing about the 300 is the infinite adjustments you can do with it's power, from the 3 different PV springs to the jetting, mild(I guess you could call it that, but there's nothing really mild about it:smirk:) to wild. The throttle response is something else when you get the jetting sorted out. I have to be careful riding single track because an accidental handful of throttle can get a guy in nasty situation. I could accidentally grab a handful on my XR650L and not have anything come out of it, other than a smooth slow acceleration, the 300 just takes off like a rocket. It's something that after 23 hours and almost 500 miles that I'm learning to cope with. I definitely have respect for the machine.

Another thing I like about it is the ability to ride a gear high, it has some 4t characteristics and lugs nicely and pulls just fine from that lug without hesitation.

Heck, keep the 200 and get a 300. I kind of wish I had the money to have a 200 around for the tight stuff. As for the weight of the 300, hell, I came off of a XR650L, so I can't say it's "heavy" the thing is a rocket propelled mountain bike to me.👍

If you ditch the e-start you won't be able to tell the weight difference between the 200 & 300. If you have limp wrist syndrome the 300 can get you into trouble. You have to have TOTAL throttle control but that's the only downside. Bone stock it has all the power you'll ever need. Never spend another penny on power mods. Ride right off idle and short shift for longer engine life. Out accelerate or climb ANY OTHER BIKE.

If you ditch the e-start you won't be able to tell the weight difference between the 200 & 300. If you have limp wrist syndrome the 300 can get you into trouble. You have to have TOTAL throttle control but that's the only downside. Bone stock it has all the power you'll ever need. Never spend another penny on power mods. Ride right off idle and short shift for longer engine life. Out accelerate or climb ANY OTHER BIKE.

Hey now, watch it.👍

this is completly wrong, a 300 with e starter and fuel is around 114 kg mark, ditch the starter, battery and all wireing involved and that get's it down to 110, i got my 300 down to 103 KG with a full tank ready to ride, which is 2 kg lighter then a stock 200 fueled up RTR, and when swapping bikes with a mate with an 08 200, the 200 still feel's saintnificantly lighter.

the 300's are not a dangrouse as alot of people on here seem to make them out to be IMO, they're like any two stroke in that if you get em high up in the RPM band, let off the throttle and get back on it they go from nothing to everything in a split second, but when you compare them to an mx bikes they're ***** cat's, and when ridden in the torque instead of revving they're incredibly easy bikes to ride smoothly and quickly on.

IMO a 200 is a fast guy's bike, they love to revv and have a nice fan of the clutch to get em going, the 300's are a slow man's bike, they love to be ridden a gear high out of the meat of the power, in the torque, you can ride them in the meat of the power and rev em if you like but the suspension is in no way setup to be ridden like that the rear end squat's to much and the handling jsut go's awol, if your the kinda guy that rides like that then chances are you won't be riding a KTM 300, you'll be on a 250 2t mxer or a 250F, the 300's are cruisy bikes IMO.

the 250's are somwhere in between, they're a bike for the fast guy that wan't somthing extra, the 250XC would definantly be my pick if i could only have one bike, i personaly like a bike with nice stiff suspension and solid handling, it can still be revved like a raped ape and be lugged down in the power, i'm actually seriously considering putting a 250 XC/SX jug on my 300.

the only thing I can say is that if you like the way the 200 handles and the way the tranny is geared, you may be disappointed in the W tranny on the 300. Also, things happen much quicker on the 300 than they do on the 200. My 300 just plain tried to hurt me a few times, so we had to part ways.

What about doing a little engine work with the 200? There's lots to be gained by head shaving and jug porting.

The 300 will feel heavier on the trail than the actual weight difference due to the increased rotational mass.

Ride one and make the decision for yourself.

I have also gotten faster on my 200 than any other bike I have owned and it continues to teach me.

I tend to agree with Gmoss.

Having a few 300's I love the platform. Picked up a 200 a few weeks ago and I can say for sure that its way lighter feeling and really turns.

I have a 5 mi practice track and haven't clocked it yet but it feels quicker especially in any section with turns.

It really rails.

I've ridden all the xcw's several times and own the 250xcw with an sx head and slightly lowered gearing. If you are a lugger then the 300w is the bike for you. If you are a guy that likes to rev then you may not. They vibrate high in the revs and just seem to like being in the low-mid revs more. I rode my friend's 07 200xcw yesterday for a bit and it doesn't feel any lighter than my 09 250 but that's probably due to the older chassis and softer suspension since he's a lighter guy. I noticed that I'd be in 3 or 4th on his bike on the same trails where I'd be in 2nd or 3rd on my 250 (both bikes are geared 2 teeth taller in the rear). My 250 just feels like the power is broader with less shifting needed however it's nice to have lots of gear choices with the 6 speed on the 200. I don't see how a guy could ever feel he didn't have the right gear available like some feel about the 250 and 300xcw's. Have you considered a 250xc? The tighter gearing, head, and ignition make for a pretty light and fast combination.

No matter how much power I build into my 200, it will never have that torque feeling you get from a 250/300. As Gmoss said, I've had my 200 for 2 years now, and still getting faster. You may not want to wait that long. Riding it up a big hill is an art form and the learning curve can be very frustrating. That being said, the journey of learning the 200 has given me a true feeling of pride. I can now chunk all the outside knobs off my front tire with the best of them 👍

• Like 1

bought a 200 in 03 and rode the crap out of it. kept it and bought an 06 300 and rode that like crazy too. in 09--bought a 250 and 300 xcwe and will never look back. loved the 200 but not enough torque to ride the trails that we ride, the way i want to ride. back to back the 250/300 have more torque. i became a better rider

I just did some experimentation with and without the FWW on my 200. Made all the difference in lowend pull, getting thru technical sections including climbs, and how much I have to use the clutch. It may not have the lowend torque, but plenty to get the job done and never too much.

They are all great bikes, you just have to find the one that fits your riding style and terrain the most. It took my a few tries. 👍

I rode a friends 09 300 XCW yesterday for about an hour on some tight trails...the terrain was not such where one would benefit from the power as it was flat and dry but I did notice the difference in "feeling" of power. First gear seems a lot taller than the 200 and you can put around without using the clutch at all hardly...

On a fire road I wound it out and it is of course very fast...did feel heavier without a doubt...

The guys I rode with are very good riders and there take was that I would likely not gain a thing in going to a 300...Would have loved the chance to get it on some hills or rougher terrain to try it out...

I rode a friends 09 300 XCW yesterday for about an hour on some tight trails...the terrain was not such where one would benefit from the power as it was flat and dry but I did notice the difference in "feeling" of power. First gear seems a lot taller than the 200 and you can put around without using the clutch at all hardly...

On a fire road I wound it out and it is of course very fast...did feel heavier without a doubt...

The guys I rode with are very good riders and there take was that I would likely not gain a thing in going to a 300...Would have loved the chance to get it on some hills or rougher terrain to try it out...

Have you taken the time to set the X to 0, or had the head cut? I know the newer bikes don't really require a FWW, but having one on mine makes it perform much more like the bigger bikes. I have to clutch a lot more without it on, and be more aggressive on climbs as it won't lug as well.

Leftover 2009 300 XCW here for a good price...How happy will I be on this bike coming off of 200? Obviously more power but handling???

I sure wouldn't call a 300 an 'upgrade', more like a lateral move.

I have well over 500 hrs each on 300's, 250's and 200's in the last 7-8 years. I ride the same overall speed on all of them. The bigger bikes have a slight advantage on long hills and in sand, esp if you make alot of mistakes. The littler bikes have an advantage in super-tight and twisty stuff, and technical terrain, especially if you make alot of mistakes.

What you will like best has alot more to do with your own personal preferences than your skill level or even terrain. If you tend to lug alot and are a lazy rider, the 300 is nice for that.

Most would agree that a 300 has the ability to get you in and out of bad situations very easy. acidently wiskey throttle will send you into a tree a little quicker on a 300 compaired to a 200.

Would the G2 throttle cam reduce or eliminate wiskey throttle?

Byte

I just did some experimentation with and without the FWW on my 200. Made all the difference in lowend pull, getting thru technical sections including climbs, and how much I have to use the clutch. 👍

so, what had more lowend pull? (w or wo fww)?

byte

you will love the "upgrade" i have ridden both and the 300 is so much more forgiving in my opinion. im an xl size so the 300 has advantages here also. from my point of view the 200 is for more experienced or aggressive riders. the ones i know who do well on the 200's like it for its light weight and agility in super tight and technical terrain. all are very aggressive riders. from what i could tell it likes to be ridden hard.

so, what had more lowend pull? (w or wo fww)?

byte

With.

llama, I didn't say skills, I said style. 👍 which is how one rides, IOW personal preference. hehe