Sign in to follow this  

2005 cr250 strange noise

Hey guys I have a 05 cr250 and just after getting the engine rebuilt it fires up perfect and everything is good but after about 2 or 3 rides i notice a small tick almost a knock in the top end of the motor, bike has tons of compression and runs good, just cant figure out what this sound is. someone on here must have ssome suggustions as to what the noise is, someone please help me. any help would be very appreciated.

thanks db.

if you have no play in the rod, and pv is adjusted, jug is still in spec, try pulling the clutch in to see if the noise changes. fwiw my rattling noises went away with a change from pump gas to vp c12.

Try kicking the bike thru slowly and if it clicks as the piston goes past TDC then you may have the wrong rings in it. Too much clearance in ring lands. If it is quiet when kicking slowly then it could be an undersized piston/oversized cylinder or the piston is hitting the head (ouch) you can grab the the piston thru the exhaust port and try to rock it. The rings are visible then also.

When I had on the stock carb, often when my jetting was off (too lean) I would hear a ticking noise at high rpm, sounded almost like spark knock. Usually if I richened it up it would go away.

The newer 2 strokes are more finicky with the octane rating you run. If the gas isn't fresh or not enough octane they tend to detonate easier. As mentioned about the VP C12... I run 25% of the C12 to 75% 91 CA Octane & haven't had any knocking noises since I started mixing that ratio. Since you just did your topend your compresion is back & you might be detonating.

Does the noise vary with RPM? Is it louder under a load? Does it seem to happen each RPM or is it variable.? Does it get quieter under trailing throttle?

Wiseco piston? If so they are noisy. I freaked out when I did mine and thought something was wrong. It's normal for them. If not Wiseco then I don't know.

My bike makes wierd noises also. Sounds like someones banging on the engine with a hammer. But not all the time...just random usually. Never hear it while its on the powerband though. I'll have to post a video....Bike runs great though and doesnt have any issues. Most people told me to just ride it.

it only makes the noise at low rpm, say at idle, blip on the throttle and its gone, let it idle back down and back again, its a OEM piston and rings, i have a video here of what it sounds like, not me or my bike but when the bike in the video is at idle sounds the same as mine, i was also told to just ride it. here is the link to the video, i know its not to same year but my engine makes the same noise as this guys bike

Thanks..

Could be bottom end noise, you would only notice that at low rpm's..? Crank bearings

I have a 2003 cr250 and it always made a knocking noise while idling. Did some research and this is normal. So ride it and don't worry.

Many CR250'S 00-and up have some bottom end noise at idle, almost a knocking sound totally normal.

-Odd that you just noticed the noise after rebuilding it though....

You will tend to notice a lot of things after you put an engine back together. haha It makes you sort of paranoid. After I took apart my Kx250 I checked the piston and rod, and there was no play in them at all, and everything checked out. It makes a sort of tinging, like a slight knocking noise, but it's always been like that I think. My bike runs great, and I haven't had any problems with it for the last 2 years that I've owned it (same piston too haha). It beats a lot of my friends bikes up the sandy hill climbs too! So I think your good.

there is no play in the piston or the rod and my dad is a mechanic so he knows what hes at when it comes to this stuff and he said it should be fine just keep it pinned so i cant hear the noise and i wont even know it is there

My 2003 cr has the same thing, it sounds like its pinging metal when im at a cruising speed, not down low or in the powerband but half way through throttle just maintaining speed... Its not very loud but Im new to two strokes and dont know if its normal. Has original piston in it still. Less than 30hrs on it and runs amazing. Any ideas???

rrrrrrrRRRRRRIIIIINNNNNNNNNNGGGG TING ting ding ding ting ting ting ting rrrrRRRRRIIINNNNGGGGG TING ting ding ding ting ding ding ting ting!

:ride:

It's the bike. 05-07 the motor made a loud rattle noise. I have a 06 and took it back to the dealer after my first ride and they said it was just a weird quirk it had they think it was something in the clutch case. They said don't worry about it. I still have and still have the stock clutch in there. The bike has the Fmf fatty exhaust vforce reed and motor ported. The only problem I've had with the bike is being able to hold to it

its the clutches that make that noise @ idle.

as for others saying they are heating a metal ping @ half throttle and stuff. now that would be pre-detination.