Sign in to follow this  

Lesson's learned as a Girl in the Military

Hey Lady's

Reading some threads I realized as a gunner in Iraq and a constructionworker in the Navy Seabees I have learned a few tricks that need to be told!

Off the top of my head right now I have two tricks of the trade, and any other lady's with some sneaky stuff up you sleeve... Share it!!!👍

For helmet hair

I use a "tube" of sewn material as a head wrap, it keeps all your hair in one place, makes helmets (kevlars in my case) off and on a breeze, remove the wrap, shake your head and *WHALLA* no knots, tangles and clean hair. I have made my own, but use this as an example, and/or google spec ops recon wrap

http://www.specopsbrand.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=3

Pee standing up:banana:

Thats right, no more hanging your ass out in the middle of nowhere, searching hopelessly for the perfect bush (no such thing in Iraq). There are many versions, but I prefer the plastic funnel type. They can be washed and used numerous times. They are very inexepensive and fit perfectly in a pocket or a purse.

The trick is to practice first with one in the shower (trust me on this one!🤣) once you figure it out, you do just like the guys do, zip your fly stick your hips out, and mark every tire you find:busted:

P-mate and Go Girl are a couple manufactures

http://www.geekgaz.com/goto/miscellaneous/p-mate-let-women-pee-like-men/

http://www.go-girl.com/

Baby wipes are great for cleaning up, and compression shirts like underarmour work well for keeping your tata's in close when wearing a vest:p

Hope this helps, I will think some more about it for any other tricks that I take for granted!

• Like 1

once you figure it out, you do just like the guys do, zip your fly stick your hips out, and mark every tire you find

Equality at last... now WE can write our names in the snow !!!

Ha! Exactly!

Another thing I thought of pertains a bit more to training missions we did in the woods;

great smelling dryer sheets work very well for keeping dirty laundry and helmet stink from getting out of control. If your roughing it and have to wear clothes more than once, stick some dryer sheets in your pockets, it helps immensely.

Equality at last... now WE can write our names in the snow !!!

I just blew my coffee out ny nose:lol:👍

You can get 'wet wipes' in individual packs... I find them by picnic supplies (paper plates, plastic silverware) in my grocery store. That way they are always fresh, and you don't have an open pack or larger pack to haul around. I throw those in a baggie, and also carry some kleenex in a baggie and some paper towels too. You never know when you'll need any or all the above!

Zip ties... carry a few of various sizes! My hubby has McGuyvered (sp?) a broken throttle cable on the trail, as well as a broken shock mount with zip ties. Both functioned well enough for the bike to be ridden out. You'd be amazed what you can make work with some creative use of zip ties. Also, a small roll of electrical tape (the end of a roll still has plenty of tape but takes up minimal room in a pack) can come in handy too.

I wear Bicycle shorts and I cut a small hole in the crotch and have used the funnel before, but I never thought I could stay standing. I may have to test it out. Took me forever to find a squatting place last saturday and I couldn't stop thinking about spiders.

the little tubes that M&M mini's come in can be really useful for storing toilet paper, paper towels, emergency tampons or zip ty's. These can also be great for keys, and as women we can never have enough chocolate.

The dryer sheets also help to keep the mosquito's away. They don't like the smell.

The dryer sheets thrown into the dirty laundry sounds like a great idea!

I use a full size garbage can for dirty laundry while out camping. Throwing a few dryer sheets in there sounds like just the ticket.