Sign in to follow this  

hard starting 'X'....

I figured out that leaning my 450 on its left side and then go through the starting procedure (lean bike over, put upright, full choke) it fires up quite well.If I dont do it this way its a lesson in frustration..Anyone else have to do this ? Its not ran that often...maybe one a week.

nope but it sounds like your float height may be out of spec. do you have any jetting or mods done to the bike or is its all stock?

I just kicked mine about 200 times with a few stops for rest. I dont have any mods yet, but will try the lean on left side trick untill I figure out what mods to pick NCVS, JD...

My starting ritual is to twist the throttle 3 or 4 times before starting. Then choke it and it fires easily. Maybe try this instead. Not sure why you would have to do that. Maybe like mentioned earlier the float is out of spec. Have you checked the vales to see if this is the reason it is hard to start?

How are you jetted?

I just put new valves in my bike and it starts first kick, but it didnt before I got the valves done; maybe time for a valve job?

I still have stock jets and only about 5 hours on mine. I hope its not the valves. I did try the lean on the left side and it fired right up. I'll try 3-4 twist of the throttle and choke in the am.

Your pilot is probably clogged.

Read countless threads on this.

The new ethenol blend fuels will clog them quickly.

I just put a 48 in and mine starts almost before I want it too.

Runs a litle rich on choke warmup but fires right up.

If you have 5 hrs- probably not the valves.

Sounds like to me your bike is just trying to tell you something.

Please ride me more often!!!!!!

My 450x was difficult to start until I went to a bigger pilot and raised the needle. (could be just the pilot but i did both at the same time) What temperature are you riding in? the only time I have to pump the throttle and use the choke is when it is below freezing outside!. My freind has a 450R that was almost imposible to start untill the valves were adjusted. now it starts 2nd or 3rd kick cold.