pw 50/qt50 rear hub

Hi all, i have both a pw 50 and a very old qt 50 runner that i bought the other day. i've read much on here and other pw forums about putting the qt drive into the pw. it appears that is a common occurrence in the us but never even heard of in the uk where i am, thus, i'm quite excited to get a start on it. my question is this, do i just undo the 2 bolts on the drive shaft casing (bolts beneath the rear shock mount) pull and swap from one bike to the other? or is there more disassembly required? either way, i'm looking forward to it and will make a start once i've got a reply. i'll make a cup of tea, unlock the workshop and then come back briefly to see if i'm lucky enough to have a reply lol.

ps, the pw is 3 years old and the qt is early 80's.

thanks in advance, mitch.

here is what you need:

- qt50 rear end complete with ring and pinion gear.

- pw50 rear axle, can come from a spare rear end.

pull the qt50 ring gear with axle in it. press the qt50 axle out of the ring gear. THEN press out the axle to the pw50, or use a PW50 axle and press it into the QT50 ring gear. then reassemble.

the rear ends are the same, but the qt50 axle is about an inch short, so that is why you need the pw50 axle.

you will lose a little top end with the qt50 gear, but you will gain a lot of bottom end.

thanks for your reply shorty, just let me get this right in my head before i make a start. from what you've described, i'm only changing the large round ring gear and axle. for some reason i thought that it would also be necessary to change the smaller gear on the driveshaft - is this not so?? cheers, mitch.

ps. there are a tonne of mods listed on here somewhere that were posted by a guy (jamracing or something similar), he no longer seems to be active on this forum and his inbox won't receive any more mails, which is a shame as i've a million questions regarding them. have you yourself made any pw 50 mods other than the qt hub?

you need to use the pinion gear also you will notice a big difference. only mods i have done is went to 65 main jet and leaned up oil pump make sure washer is removed from exhaust and cylinder

cheers for the reply. just recently i removed the 2T autolube and changed the pilot like you to a 65 - it didn't run too well and so i did a bit more reading on TT and it occurred to me that i had made one of the most common mistakes - i'd made 2 changes to the bike without testing them individually, i'd decreased the amount of fuel by reducing the pilot but also reduced the amount of fuel entering the carb because the fuel supply is now mixed 40:1 as opposed to neat petrol as before. i put a 75 in it and the result was as sweet as a nut.

i just read about people putting the 65 in and so i followed without thinking why, could you tell me why you and others reduce the pilot?

washer wasn't in it when i bought the bike, boy is in need of a lot more bottom end power as we have a mini enduro loop where he practices at the back of the house, quite a few short but steep inclines which are a struggle but what kills the bike are tufts of long grass, he hits those at a slow speed and that poor little front wheel hasn't got a chance of getting over it!!

would you say that the change in performance using the qt 50 hub is significant? cheers, mitch.