Sign in to follow this  

crf 250r down in the river

this question is about a submerged bike.. while trying to cross a creek my son hit a rock and stalled, fell over and the bike was completely underwater.. we pulled it out and quickly pulled the air cleaner and tipped the bike upright draining all the water.. the cylinder was full so we pulled the plug and blew out the water.. changed the fuel, drained the carb and the bike started but wouldn't run. checked the oil it was foamy so we changed both oil and trans fluids.. it started and ran great.. is there anything else we should be doing to this bike to prevent any other damage from being submerged???

Sounds to me like you did a good job getting all the water out right away, the only other thing that I can think of right away is changing the oil a few more times to make sure that any residual water comes out as well.

clean the carb.

Made the mistake of not doing that once. Bike was funning fine, rode back fine, went on the next ride, rode fine for a while. Finally on a big nasty greasy uphill that was the only way back the bike would not run right. Turns out there was a leaf or little piece of grass or something in the carb, got sucked into the main jet. That was not fun.

Thanks, yea the engine side looked clear and i have changed the tranny side a couple more times and it now looks clear i think i'll have hime take a short ride and change both one more time just to make sure.

thanks again

i pulled the float plug out and sprayed lots of carb cleaner up inside. should i do more than that to the carb.. its running strong now

one more thing.. just wondering how does the water get into the oils(both).. thru the cylinder?