How much can the adjuster screw on forks come out?

I have been looking everywhere on TT and I cant find the answer..

I have a CRF450R and the manule says that the forks have 16 clicker settings. I noticed that the screw will continue to turn counterclockwise past 16 clicks. Is this bad for the forks? I just had my suspention rebuilt and I want to soften the front end for the woods.

I could be wrong, but the same thing happened to a friend.

now im not sure if youre talking about the top (compression) or the bottom (damper) adjuster. but the damper on my friends bike would keep spinning. the problem is that that clicker (part #13 in parts explosion link below) is a D shape, as well as the damper rod (part #12). the bottom 1/2 inch of the damper rod got rounded off to an "O" shape so the clicker just spun while the damper rod didnt spin.

I bet thats what happened to yours too, IF its the bottom one youre having problems with. but I could be wrong though.

its part number 12 that will possibly need to be replaced, cheap and easy: http://shop.thumpertalk.com/oem.asp?partcategory=141835&manufacturer=3&category=3&year=2005&model=3351

well its the top one and there is deffinatly nothing wrong with them becuase i just got the forks back last night from getting rebuild by a pro. i was just wondering if this was bad for the forks or what? and why would it keep spinning if 16 is suppost to me the max amount of clicks out?

im pretty sure somethings not right if you can keep spinning it. so I wouldnt be saying "there is deffinatly nothing wrong with them" because there obviously is... im not too sure on what it could be if its the compression adjuster. im sure someone in here will.

i only turned it to about 18 or 20. i didn't want to go any more than that.. but the reason i say nothing is wrong is because i'm 99.99% sure they are done correctly. anything is possible..

I'm sure it's fine.

Don't quote me exactly but my manual states the clickers have "up to or more" than 18 clicks, for example. I think my comp. adjusters turn out about 20.

Edited by The Captain