ims desert tank

I recently purchased a 2.7 ims desert tank to go on a 09 450r. I got 4 rides on the tank before it leaked what ever gas was left in the tank on the floor in my shed. IMS does not stand by these tanks that they charge $225-$250 for. and you do not find this out until after you have purchased it.

The plastic is so thin that when you are out on desert ride the bottom warps from the heat and what fuel you have is gone. If they do not change their design on this tank they will soon find themselves in a wrongfull death lawsuit becuase the bike will either blow up burn up or both.

What is the solution to this problem if anyone has any suggestions please do tell.

thanks.

I'm on my 4th IMS tank for my 09 CRF but none of them have ever leaked—the pump mounts seized inside their round brass inserts every time.

I've only had to pay for one and they've sent me 3 more free of charge because this is an obvious design flaw and no fault of my own. I've taken every single precaution imagineable to keep the pump mount bolts from seizing. This last tank I just received the other day is designed differently—it appears to be a different grade of plastic and the brass inserts are square (not round) so when you are unscrewing a bolt they actually bite into something instead of spinning. I believe that this tank will perform well.

As I mentioned above, none of my IMS tanks have ever leaked.

However, amidst all my troubles with IMS I bought a Clarke tank (2.3 gal.) and it leaked after about 2 hours of riding. The fuel literally gushed right out the bottom where the pump mounted.

So, I called them up and they sent me another (free of charge).

The 2nd Clarke tank lasted around 6 hours. I noticed that it was gushing fuel out of the same spot as I was finishing a 2 hour long Gran-Prix a couple of weekends ago... I could have easily caught the bike on fire (hot header pipe + gas) or run out of gas unexpectedly and had to endure a brutal crash when the bike died out or coughed on me by suprise. I don't really know what else to say about that...👍 I guess if I would have gotten hurt I would be in a lawsuit with them. I think they need to recall their tank.

So again, I got on the horn with Clarke. They had me ship both defective tanks back (at their expense) and I'm still waiting for them to issue me my refund. At the present time I've got my 4th IMS tank sitting on the bike and I'll try it out tomorrow.

As I said above; I'm optimistic about the new IMS. I see a better engineered design and a different grade of plastic. I don't understand what you mean when you say that the IMS is thin around the pump mounting area. My IMS tanks are pretty stout in that area—way beefier than the Clarke. Regardless, the best built tank for the 2009-10 CRF 450 remains the stock one.

No one else has been able to solve the mystery as of yet.

kylesride- I have the e-mail address of the person I've been working with as far as my IMS tank issues go. If you'd like, PM me and I will give you their address. No guarantees, but this person is the right person to speak with.

Are you positive you have an IMS tank? The issue you had just matches up with my Clarke tank issues so well...

Hey thanks for the reply. my buddy and I bought ims tanks @ the sametime his is clear and mine is black. (His started leaking the same time) We put anti seize on all bolts mounting the fuel pump to the tank. The install was done properly. When I removed the leakin tank you can see bottom of the tank is warped. So if know something about the next ims tank we will be receiving that would be great.

I am also on my fourth IMS tank and two of them leaked. My 4th started leaking today. I have to say, if it wasn't for the fact that they keep warrantying them, I wouldn't buy another one. I have used their products a lot and love the service but after four you just get tired of changing tanks! I have the 5th in a box at home and it will be mounted tomorrow. I have to say I really think it is all because of the fuel pump assembly and those six stupid bolts. And how about all those damn washers? I'm guessing an engineer caught his wife with a mechanic.

Mine has been great for the last year but... I took it off yesterday and two of the inserts started to turn. Luckly the bolts broke free before they completely turned inside the tank. But there is no way I'm putting the tank back on, hopefully I can get a replacement. Mine even had the square inserts but they are still turning inside the tank.

A good remedy for your problem craw is using 31mm metric studs instead of the OEM pump mount bolts. That is what I run and if the studs seize insde the tank inserts it won't make a difference—you'll still just simply unbolt your pump.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 7 years later...

I just Purchased the Acerbis 2.7 gallon tank for my brand new CRF450R.  Mounted it it per the instructions with zero problems, put gas in it and it immediately started leaking! Tore it apart again and checked everything, gaskets still new everything looked right. tried again. Still leaking! Tore it apart a third time and used Honda bond around the seal of the fuel pump. let it set for 24 hours, filled with gas .... no leak! ......... Until about 3 weeks later and we are back to square one! Now I have it apart a forth time, I have everything cleaned up and waiting for new seals to comes in to try but this is ridiculous! So NO, Acerbis is no better!