Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400E Brake Light Install

Hello -

Bought a Baja Designs brake light along with rear brake (plunger type) switch and was wondering if anyone had information on how best to install.

I have a way to get in on the bike with the plunger going up and down but now sure where to wire to.

Do I wire in to existing tail light or is there something better?

Trying to get street legal in the state of Colorado and this is all I have left to do.

Please respond.

I zip tied my plunger style switch to the subframe above the rear brake lever and behind the side panel. I then ran a stiff pull wire down to the brake lever spring. Just put a "J" bend in each end, hook one end in the switch and the other thru the center of the return spring. be sure to fuse protect any added wiring.

It would have been easier in the long run to buy an entire kit. But you should mount the light, run the wire that controls the low side of the light using the factory light connector. Take the seccond wire that should be a high side brake light and connect it to the brake switch.

I will start working with it and see what i come up with. I should have bought the whole kit but started piecing it together and before you know it I have most of what I needed. In Colo, you only need a rear view mirror, and a brake light. Although I have a speedo also.

I didn't want to buy the whole kit either cause I just wanted hi/lo headlight, horn & brake light. I think it cost me around $150, so much better than the whole $460 kit.