Chain makes buzzzzzing sound. Normal?

Hi guys,

I hate to ask this but I couldn't find anything when I searched... does your chain make a buzzing sound as it spins around the counter shaft sprocket? Mine sounds like buzzing bees. It's well lubricated and tensioned so I'm thinking it's just a normal sound of the chain being driven around the sprocket.

Thanks!

Ed

what size sprockets do you have. are they stock? make sure you chain is not to tight or you will wear out you sprockets real fast. this not a bicycle you dont need the chain real tight. i had a 47 or 48 in the rear and it would rub the chain runners (the white lower thing that the chain runs through next the rear sprocket) not only did it make a buzzing noise. it also wore the chain down so bad the rounded edges were flat. but to answer you question a little buzz is ok. but it wouldnt hurt to check out you front sprocket. i hope this helped. that just my 2 cents in the matter.

Make sure your chain is adjusted to ~1 5/8" of slack with the rear axle at its furthest point from the countershaft in the suspension travel. You will likely have to be sitting on the bike or have someone sitting on it to compression the suspension enough. If you set the chain slack with the bike leaned on the side stand, the chain tension will be too tight. It is suspected around here that too little chain tension is a major factor in damaged countershaft splines.

Chains do make noise, but I find that mine are noisy when they are getting worn out. My chain and sprockets are still pretty good so I have to lean over the side right now to hear anything. I don't notice any noise during normal riding yet.

I have a 14 tooth front sprocket (with a few hundred miles) and the stock rear sprocket. Chain is original OEM with ~1,700 miles. I'll re-check the tension ASAP.

What's funny is I only hear things when I'm not wearing my helmet! I'm hoping the chain noise (along with light valvetrain ticking even after valve adjustments) are normal.

I'll report back what I find with the tension readjustment.

Thx!

Ed