MSF dirt bike school- is it worth it?

I've been riding street bikes for 11 years (sport bike and dual sport). The extent of my dual sport riding has been pretty much gravel roads. Now, I have joined the dirt bike world with my first dirt bike, a Yamaha TTR125. I wanted something small to start. I've looked at the MSF web site and there are schools 80-100 miles from here, definitely doable. Is the class worth it? I see it seems to be geared toward folks who haven't ridden at all. But I want to learn to feel comfortable maneuvering in dirt and want to learn the right way, rather than struggling myself. My goal is just to be able to ride a semi-challenging trail, no racing or huge jumps.

For the longest time there was no such thing as a "dirt bike" school/course. We all just learned from friends and others that have ridden for years.

I've heard nothing but good about the school. Riding challenging terrain takes confidence and I think the school can instill that. You might even get a bead on an advanced riders course while there and make some off road riding friends.

I think I saw (was just looking at different courses yesterday) that they (MSF) offer specific courses for street to dirt conversions-like you. The advantage being that you certainly don't need the mechanics of shifting etc. that a complete beginner would need. At least I think it was MSF.

I took the class since i never rode a bike before and learned everything from clutch and throttle control to hill climbs and riding over logs. it was worth it for me since i've never rode a bike before but I think you would be fine the way you are. They do an intermediate class that might help though, its a lot more in depth in trail riding.