Sign in to follow this  

Front Brake System?

I'm trying to find parts on a budget, and was wondering which front brake reservoir/master cylinder would work on my bike. The little circular window where you can see the fluid level is broken, and they don't make parts for it any more. It's a simple fix, and it's easier to just buy the whole thing, but I don't want to buy something that's not gonna work.

My bike is a '91 KTM 300. The two I were looking at were:

1998 KTM front master cylinder - 60 bucks (comes with EVERYTHING including a caliper that I could sell and just about break even)

2000-2007 KTM front master cylinder - 45 bucks (Won't be able to get any money back, it's just the master cylinder. It's in PERFECT condition though. Not even one scratch on it)

I'd like to get the newer one, but I don't know if it will work with my brake system. I can't sign up for KTM Talk, but if no one here knows, and someone wants to post the question there, I'd appreciate it.

the answer is on the hose mounting on your bike. If it is the same hose as the newer bikes then it will work. For instance, a common upgrade to the early 2000s KTMs is to use a Honda Nissin master cyl. It bolts right on the KTM hose. So go look at a current or newer bike and compare the hoses, maybe you can even get a newer hose to fit your bike.

the answer is on the hose mounting on your bike. If it is the same hose as the newer bikes then it will work. For instance, a common upgrade to the early 2000s KTMs is to use a Honda Nissin master cyl. It bolts right on the KTM hose. So go look at a current or newer bike and compare the hoses, maybe you can even get a newer hose to fit your bike.

So if I got the '98 KTM one, which comes with the hose, I could probably make that work?

If the fittings match or you can adapt them.

Actually, looking at the newer hoses, mine looks exactly the same. Any chance a newer Brembo master cylinder could just bolt up? Looks like it should...Keep in mind I'm taking my bike to a shop to have the new pinch bolt put on my forks because I don't want to torque anything wrong and have the same thing happen again or have anything fall apart while I'm riding, so if anything I'd be taking the new master cylinder there as well to be done professionally. I'm new to this stuff, and though labor is expensive, I'd rather know it's done right than try to save a buck and end up screwing more stuff up lol. In time, I'll learn to do more myself.

Again, if the fittings match up it will work and the new one will work better.

Getting a dealer or professional shop to do it adds another unknown. They may perceive liability and warranty issues (warranting their work) with using anything non stock or specifically designed for the application. It will depend on their policies and individual views of the management and mechanic. You'll just have to ask.

It would be more likely that just the hose fits, the mounting brackets and spacing of the caliper is likely different in those years.

It would be more likely that just the hose fits, the mounting brackets and spacing of the caliper is likely different in those years.

I only want to use the master cylinder. If I got the entire system, I'd only do so because I could sell the caliper afterwards to get some money back. I'm not sure if that's what you were saying or not, but I'm not trying to mount a new caliper or anything lol I just need the master cylinder.

yeah, I misread and thot you said the whole thing. Check n see thru the dealer or if you can do it yourself, what size your bolt for the MC is and compare to the size of the newer unit. If they are the same and the hose shape is similar it should work.