Sign in to follow this  

Back in the saddle! '97 XR600R

Well guys, I've come full circle and gone back to my roots. Just got 'er home and couldn't be happier! She needs a few things but runs excellent. I don't remember my new '96 running this strong. This one almost makes me think it's had some engine work done. I dunno. Anyhow, glad to be back! 👍

001.jpg

002.jpg

Thank you, sirs!

Now, uh-oh..

001-1.jpg002-1.jpg

Could it be it just vibrated out? Not a chance. It's broke off in the head.

003.jpg004.jpg

At least the cam and rockers look good.

This is all of the intake seal that was there.

005.jpg

A rocker cover bolt on the opposite side is stripped out. There were NO LOCATING DOWELS in the cover!

There was only one copper washer on the top oil line banjo fitting too...

I really wish people that had no mechanical repair skills would keep their hands away.... far away.... 👍

I know how you feel. It breaks my heart to see hack jobs done on good bikes by people who have no business owning hand tools, let alone motor vehicles.

I noticed that goopy silicone around the stator cover gasket too....more cause for concern. Like you said, though, at least the top end hasn't been burned up. Usually people who do the kind of "half-fast" 👍 work that has been done to your bike also neglect the oil level and jetting.

I pulled the head last night and found-a stock piston. HT, there is evidence the valves had hit the piston at some point as there are marks on the piston but no marks on the valves. Maybe that's why it has been opened up before?

Also more evidence of the previous "mechanics" ability. The cam end dowels are mushroomed from being hammered in and one has even been ground on around its circumference! (sp) I don't know how, but the dowel holes look okay.

Gonna pull the cylinder shortly. I'll have more pics too....

The piston is probably didn't get hit by valves. My stock 600 had some marks like that - turns out that they were factory.

Here's a brand new piston going in and you can see four marks that LOOK like valve hits, but they're not. Piston is right out of the box.

20081219-11.gif

Rob- I know the stock eyebrows you're talking about but the marks I'm talking about are obvious. They're a bit shiny where as the rest of the piston had carbon deposits...

I really can't believe how well this bike ran given everything not right. These bikes are troopers. 👍

Finally got 'er back together this weekend. 👍 Took a short shakedown ride Sunday and everything worked perfect. 😛

The engine is completely stock, performance wise. I ended up using an ebay '95 bottom end, '00 transmission, '96 cylinder from my first XR6 I bought new, head, cam and rocker cover assembly from the original engine.

I replaced every bearing (with the exception of the needle on the end of the shift drum) with Honda bearings, cam chain and sliders, tensioner spring, oil pump, Honda piston-.50mm over, Pro-X rod kit and Kibblewhite valves.

This thing ought to last me the rest of my life! :mad:

I love XR600s. They just fit me--and feel right.

I've said it before, they're a great all around versatile bike.

Way to go Bruce.....nice to see another XR de-screwified,,😛:thumbsup:

If you could see some of the ham fisted scewups by retards i have to fix at work,,,,,,,,it`d curl your toes:banghead:👍

B

Thanks Rich!

LOL. Thanks Brian!

There's a couple more niggles to go after in the wiring harness but basically just gonna start making her a little prettier. 😛

Hey guys. This bike's up for sale if any of you are interested. PM me for info.

Hey guys. This bike's up for sale if any of you are interested. PM me for info.

Huh? I dont get it. one day its the best & then unload it? You a guy or a gal?

Huh? I dont get it. one day its the best & then unload it? You a guy or a gal?

Real funny. It's a matter of economics. Not much happening at work.

This bike isn't my first choice for getting rid of. I've had my 'berg for sale for months with only about 3 responses all the same: "Is it street plated?" 😏

I've had my 'berg for sale for months with only about 3 responses all the same: "Is it street plated?" 😏

It must be on craigslist. B)

It must be on craigslist. 😏

Yep. lol

I'll see what happens. I really don't want to sell the XR6. I have it advertised for less than I have in it, that coupled with the fact I like it better than the 'berg, I should just keep it.

I think that's probably gonna happen. *****it. I've got other things I can try to sell.

You might try putting the 'Berg in a Recycler ad or pay a few bucks for a spot in the paper. It's nice that it's free, but I have a harder time selling stuff on CL than any other classifieds. The average responder has the reading comprehension and memory of a pigeon.

You might try putting the 'Berg in a Recycler ad or pay a few bucks for a spot in the paper. It's nice that it's free, but I have a harder time selling stuff on CL than any other classifieds. The average responder has the reading comprehension and memory of a pigeon.

Isn't that sadly the truth.😏