Sign in to follow this  

price for fork seals and rear shock sealI

got quoted 375.00 to do my front fork seals and rear shaock seal and thats with me removing the forks and rear shock and taking to the guy.Does this seem about right?

.Does this seem about right?

NO!!!! I just had my son's showa forks and shock serviced for $200 even....

That was new seals and dust covers with oil and outer bushing in the forks...

But I don't use a brand (honda) type shop.

I would do it yourself if you have a little mechanical ability. Buy a fork seal driver and Cap nut wrench from Rocy Mountain ATV. Watch the videos on twin chamber forks (part 1 & 2) on the rocky Montain ATV website. Also read your Zook service manual while doing it. It is not that hard and you will learn something. Probably do it for about $130 including buying the tools, then you will have them for next time!!!

Rocky Mountain Videos: (Click on Twin Chamber forks)

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/videos.do

$375 to me seems very pricey. Seals should run about $50 to $60 dollars for both sides. About $25 for oil for both sides. Tools would run about $60. I have a buddy that does them for guys and he does them for $70 labor + the parts and oil. I think that is pretty fair.

This does not include the rear though, have not played with that one.

I would do it yourself if you have a little mechanical ability. Buy a fork seal driver and Cap nut wrench from Rocy Mountain ATV. Watch the videos on twin chamber forks (part 1 & 2) on the rocky Montain ATV website. Also read your Zook service manual while doing it. It is not that hard and you will learn something. Probably do it for about $130 including buying the tools, then you will have them for next time!!!

Rocky Mountain Videos: (Click on Twin Chamber forks)

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/videos.do

$375 to me seems very pricey. Seals should run about $50 to $60 dollars for both sides. About $25 for oil for both sides. Tools would run about $60. I have a buddy that does them for guys and he does them for $70 labor + the parts and oil. I think that is pretty fair.

This does not include the rear though, have not played with that one.

Ok, after watching the (very informative) videos I like to give that a try.

The fork seal driver I think should be a 46/47mm (is that a 46mm or a 47mm or is it just a single tool that covers both?)

The cap nut wrench, I guess that is both a inner and a outer - what size would that be?

Regards

/..

Hey Thanks for all that info.I am a diesel mechanic at a ford dealer so im def not afraid to tackle this on my own.What else is invovled,Can you check all the valving and repair that if need be?