82 and 83 cr 480's

Hi all,

New to vintage, I picked up 2 cr 480's for cheap. The 82 is in much better condition as you can see from the pics. Here is the question, will the 83 rear suspension work on the 82 frame (while I recondition the 83)? I can see that the 82 shock is shorter and the linkage is shaped differently. Also, any suggestions on a paint or powder coat color that is close to the original honda color (for the 83)?. Thanks!

480s007.jpg

480s001.jpg

Looks like you've got a bunch of work ahead of you! Mismatched seat, tanks, front end, etc.

As for the color, "Flash Red"

This is the color of the 1983 through 1987 CRs and you can buy it from Color-Rite. My source uses this on their restorations.

When you call them order this #MA2135R119

# East Coast Sales and Support: 800-358-1882

# West Coast Sales and Support: 800-736-7980

# Canada Sales and Support: 800-461-2324

Are these your first 480's?

• Like 1

Thanks Elsner! Very helpful. I used to race one of these back in 83 and 84. I plan on building one vintage legal one (the 83, I think) and parting the other. The 82 tank and front end on the 83 will achieve that, the 83 has that huge Clarke 4 gal tank which I won't be using. I have both down to the frame now.

BIG willys on TT!! Gorgon the 83 is a much better machine, better frame, motor and suspension. the 82s had a four speed box and horrid front forks. If you plan on racing these bikes your attention would be much better spent on the 83. A big plus on these big air hammers is with proper care the top end will outlast most of the bike.

gorgon, there is no need to use both bikes. Unless of course you're saving $$$, which everyone in vintageland understands. The front end on the 83 is either from an XR or a later year. The stock 83 480 came with drum brakes. Also, the 82 and 83 had different seats (83 was a "safety seat"), so if you combining the bikes, you'll need to find a tank/seat combination that works.

Check out this page to see some useful info on 82-83 CR480's. Removable subframe, safety seat, shocks, transmission, heavier flywheel, etc, are mentioned here.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-614304.html

Hey Nick, I knew that was you the second I saw the username. Good to see you, buddy.

Cool to see these old pingers are still coming out of the woodwork.

Too bad most are in such bad condition.

I picked up one that was super clean from a good friend.

I don't have names for my bikes, but I can't resist calling it California......where it came from/where my friend lives.

I was a senior in high school ('84) and had an 83 CR250.

I always wanted a 480....and looked up to that as Superman's bike.

After all these years I finally have one.

Yeah.....83 was the better year.

.2993638660102045454S600x600Q85.jpg

Good luck on yours man.

Post up your progress when you get time.

• 2 months later...

480wheelie-1.jpg

SWEET!!!!!!!!??

Looks like you were pretty light on the throttle.......

Yep. All we had back then were the basics............... an old jacket, jeans, gloves.....and borrowed boots.

Bell Moto III ? I still have mine from that era.

2223174920102045454S600x600Q85.jpg

480wheelie-1.jpg

SWEET!!!!!!!!??

Bell Moto III ? I still have mine from that era.

Bell Moto III ?...yes.

I was light on the throttle in the pic. It was taken by a photography school student. He got the wheelie at the very beginning...it was still comming up.

I love your street legal `83 OldTimer!!!

Awesome.

I was a senior in high school ('84) and had an 83 CR250.

I always wanted a 480....and looked up to that as Superman's bike.

After all these years I finally have one.

Old Timer...we are the same age...`84 HS grads.

In `84, I bought a leftover (new) `82 CR480, (`cause I couldn't afford a Maico.)

I too thought of it as Supermans' bike (Magoo was Superman.)

My buddies all had CR250s...they were pissed and didn't really want to ride with me...on my "sandblaster/rockthrower"...especially after one cracked his kneecap with a large roosted rock from my back tire.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............. sure brings back fond memories.

We took our magazines to the track and compared bike test data.

Yeah, we all drooled over the Maicos.

I was part of a small clan that traveled to different towns to ride different tracks. Most of us had 250s. A couple of guys had 125s............. My 250 was heavily modded in later years, my friends just loved the thing (I never could understand the mentality of owning a 125 though).

One guy had a YZ490, which we all were in awe over.

I borrowed a CR450R from a friend for several months (what a ratty/pipey gorilla), Not until I got this bike did I ever even see a 480 in person.

As old as it is, it's really an impressive bike.....the tractorish torque really impressed me.

I recently finished a street CR500 conversion, and the 480 doesn't even come close in performance and nimbleness.

Needless to say I've mothballed the 480 until I can restore it back to MX status.

The harness, lighting and other street goodies will be swapped over to another project.

I'll leave the powdercoated rims as they are................ the new Michelin knobbies that the bike came with and yellow backgrounds will be put back into place.

Thanks for the compliments.

• 3 weeks later...

OK,

Here is the finished product. This is mostly the "blue" bike from the original post. I had it out on the MX track on Sunday and it did not disapoint. I added a few upgrades such as, newer cr 500 carb, 2 head gaskets (because I'm old), Pro X 90mm piston, Simons suspension linkage, rebuilt suspension with Gold Valves in the forks, proper springs and some modifications to the drum brakes. Did all the work myself (except the shock) and had a great time doing it. I was going to sell it but I'm having second thoughts.

480done003.jpg

I will have my son take a vid next time to the track. He said he could hear it most of the way around the track, nothing else sounds like it. I had some strange looks from kids I passed that were riding modern 4 strokes. As long as you hold the gas on some, it handles the rough choppy stuff as good as my modern yz 250. You just have to plan a bit ahead as far as braking goes. What a blast!

• 4 weeks later...
Hey Gorgon, is that your bike for sale on Craigslist in Phoenix for $2700?

Yep, that's it. I actually hope it does not sell before I can race it this fall. It is more fun than I remembered from 1983.