Sign in to follow this  

my engine seized!!!!

i have a 04 crf450r and just today i was riding and my bike locked up. tranny is just fine i was able to shift into nutral and push it out of there (im glad honda was thinking when they separated the engine from the tranny). took it home and drained the engine oil and found metal shavings in it. took off the side case to see if my fly wheel or something was rubbing or the chain or anything. took off the valve cover and all looks good.... so i have a feeling something is wrong in my bottom end where i can't see it... maybe my crank of i have no idea but really seized. i cant budge the kickstart nor do i want to. so would someone please say they have had the same problem..... help me!

oh and i forgot to mention my spark plug was pretty black. i always change my oil about every 20 hours or so but i have rode it i dont know at least 150 hours since i have owned it the past 2 and half years. so maybe it was just wearing out. but thats besides the point its gotta be the crank or something right?

There is a bunch of other stuff that can mess up besides the crank

i always change my oil about every 20 hours or so

There's your problem, your bike hates you for the abnormally long oil change intervals. Way too long man.

20 hour oil changes? What kind of oil? Full synth I hope... but still too long.

The only way to diagnose what blew up is to take it all apart...

stock bike? on the limiter frequently? 150 hrs w 20hr change intervals is way way too long. more and likely the crank went, but youll never know until its all apart. pics will come shortly i hope....sorry to hear man.

sounds like my problem was not frequent enough oil changes. suck! im an idiot. this is gonna be such a pain to fix. someone told me that i could just buy a new motor, would it be worth it? i know i could fix it but the only problem is the time issue.... i ain't got enough. i wish there were more hours in a day haha. im gonna get to work on it and pull that motor apart to see exactly what went wrong... thanks for the replies everyone ill try to get some pictures. oh i forgot to say i actually talked my wife into letting me buy another bike while i fix this one. there are some for sale in my area an 06, 07 and an 08 crf 450r. does anyone have a suggestion on which one might be better i would guess the 08 cause its the newest but a suggestion would be helpful thanks again

there are some for sale in my area an 06, 07 and an 08 crf 450r. does anyone have a suggestion on which one might be better i would guess the 08 cause its the newest but a suggestion would be helpful thanks again

yer i would go for the '08.

i own an '08 and it is so good to ride and the power is just so much and so smooth and really reliable. i haven't owned 06 and 07 but the 08 is real comfortable to ride

you dont need to buy a new engine. do allot of research on the problem areas of the 04 CRf450 and make sure to adress those areas when your buying parts.....cam chain tensioner, maybe even a new cylinder...get the head done, stainless steel valves. the 04 is just like the rest of the new bikes(not injected). only difference being that HONDA worked out the bugs in the years following the 04CRF450. now its up to you to put her back together and fix the bugs. good luck and patience is a virtue when working on a 4 stroke......trust me:thumbsup: