Should I Get This Bike??

I found this bike on CL and was wondering what you guys/gals thought.

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/mcy/1681383373.html

I would want to put this bike on the road and also us it for some trail riding and messing around at the track. I will not be using it at highway speeds so it would stay under 50mph. What kind of gearing do you think would be best?

Two strokes are a lot of fun on the street. There's a few issues though, and these being why i passed on a KTM 380 before buying my XR:

Stock gearing will probably be ok up to 50, but mxc bikes have close ratio trannies so you'll be shifting a lot on the road. Will be noisier than a 4t on trails so unless you have a lot of wide open spaces to be riding you may have people calling the cops. It's probably going to need a new top end often if you are planning on riding it regularly. You'll want to double check with the owner about transferring the title to your state and if you have to get an inspection or not, that can get costly. Have to carry oil with you if you need to fill up at a gas station. Stock seat will probably be narrower and harder than a true DS... getting uncomfortable very quickly on the street.

If you can live with that, then go for it! I've owned several two stroke street bikes and they are a blast to ride on the road and nothing compares to the feeling of hitting the powerband. That bike looks pretty nice from the small pics, if it looks that good close up (and the DS kit was installed well) then you should consider it if you think the price is fair. I can't advise you if that's a good price or not... i'm not sure what mxc bikes go for these days.

Two strokes are a lot of fun on the street. There's a few issues though, and these being why i passed on a KTM 380 before buying my XR:

Stock gearing will probably be ok up to 50, but mxc bikes have close ratio trannies so you'll be shifting a lot on the road. Will be noisier than a 4t on trails so unless you have a lot of wide open spaces to be riding you may have people calling the cops. It's probably going to need a new top end often if you are planning on riding it regularly. You'll want to double check with the owner about transferring the title to your state and if you have to get an inspection or not, that can get costly. Have to carry oil with you if you need to fill up at a gas station. Stock seat will probably be narrower and harder than a true DS... getting uncomfortable very quickly on the street.

If you can live with that, then go for it! I've owned several two stroke street bikes and they are a blast to ride on the road and nothing compares to the feeling of hitting the powerband. That bike looks pretty nice from the small pics, if it looks that good close up (and the DS kit was installed well) then you should consider it if you think the price is fair. I can't advise you if that's a good price or not... i'm not sure what mxc bikes go for these days.

it is a 4t i would make sure you can get it registered before you buy

it was a 4t

I'd get it only if I felt confident I could register it in MA. and were planning on using it on the street only to get from one trail to the next.

I'd be checking with the MA. DMV pronto if I were seriously considering it.

Down here in CT., I checked with the folks at my DMV main branch who did what were called Composite Inspections to get my answers.

My 2009 WR-250F is registered for street use and is, frankly, a crummy street bike since it feels wound out before I reach 50mph, even though actual top speed is a bit over 60mph.

Comfy-feeling cruising is at about 40mph - too low, even on hick back roads these days.

That's just fine and dandy if it's just you and your riding buddy out on the road, but if there's automobile traffic, you'll be holding them up unless you want to have the bike tapped-out for miles on end - use your mirror a lot. 👍

It's an excellent off-road bike, though, and that's exactly what it feels like while on the street:

A great off-road bike that's on the pavement just long enough to reach the next trail.

Remember, 40mph off-road can make you feel like you're flying, but 40mph on road feels like you're crawling. 🤣

In the photo, it looks like that 2001 YZ has DOT tires and a smaller rear sprocket.

I'd expect these to make it better on the road but worse off-road.

I'd also be checking the oil level a couple times a day, especially not knowing the exact state of engine health. 🙂