Sign in to follow this  

Oil Change Interval from PO

Friend of mine is looking at a 2000 E model. I took it for a test ride today. Rode pretty good!

I'm concerned that they didn't change the oil enough. PO claims 3k miles and they have put about 10k miles on the bike over the last year or so. Almost exclusively street. The exact total mileage is unknown, but the PO claims about 17k-18k miles on the bike.

I've searched the forums about OC intervals and have found 750-1000 as the average interval. Should I concerned that the bike has excessive sludge or wear on the internals? I don't know if the PO was running dino, semi-, or full-synth, if that matters...

How was the trans shifting? 3k is a long time, but not completely outrageous. I suppose if he rode it like a grandpa it would be fine. The longest I've gone without changing the oil is about 1200 miles but I ride it hard. And the oil doesnt look too bad at that point. If the motor seems strong and the trans shifts smooth I'd say its good. I'd wait till some professional engine builders chime in.

Nice. Kit in the mail. Now I want to test all my vehicles. I've been running full-synth and long intervals on my jeep. Might as well see how that is doing while I'm at it! 👍

Nice. Kit in the mail. Now I want to test all my vehicles. I've been running full-synth and long intervals on my jeep. Might as well see how that is doing while I'm at it!

I had them run a few samples from my Corolla (1ZZ-FE) to confirm that 8,000-mile oil changes were okay. Interesting result: Mobile 1 holds up better than Valvoline full-synth in the 'Rolla. 👍