Sign in to follow this  

kick starter noise

I had this noise start at the track today that sounded like buzzing coming from the kick starter. In addition to the noise the kicker was hopping/jerking like something was hitting it inside.

Anyone else have this happen?

09 kX450

need to remove the side case and rebuild the kickstarter mech. Its kicking and making noise due it still being partially engaged. You might have pulled the retension spring out of the kickstarter shaft, or where the spring sits in the case.

I know on the 02-08 CRF450's, if you didn't use enough oil the kickstart idler gear would go bad over time. Not sure if the KX is the same but my guess would be that it is. Do you use the oil sight glass or measure your oil? I have found that my sight glass is full when I still need to add a significant amount of oil following an oil change.

need to remove the side case and rebuild the kickstarter mech. Its kicking and making noise due it still being partially engaged. You might have pulled the retension spring out of the kickstarter shaft, or where the spring sits in the case.

That sounds like the problem.

Thanks

I know on the 02-08 CRF450's, if you didn't use enough oil the kickstart idler gear would go bad over time. Not sure if the KX is the same but my guess would be that it is. Do you use the oil sight glass or measure your oil? I have found that my sight glass is full when I still need to add a significant amount of oil following an oil change.

Funny you mention that. I changed the oil two rides ago and during the day I noticed the filter area was leaking, took it apart and had pinched a seal.