Sign in to follow this  

how do i find the compression stoke?

im have little plm im trying to check the valve clearance on my dr650se(only4000miles missed the 1st check) and i knw i to turn crankshaft counterclockwise to set t.d.c but it say on the compression stroke??? how do i knw im on the compression stroke??? i try what i thought was right and the clearance was little on the big side so i made to fall in to the middle of the spec clearance that it calls for to set to.. but then now i go to double check myself and turn crankshaft and set on the T for t.d.c and when i check the clearacnce it is tight cant even get the gauge of even the lowest clearance in it... im not sure if i have not put it on the right stoke??? so im tring to find out how i know i have it on the compression stoke and not the other stoke (whatever thats called) thanks for all help im learning this as i go here..

when you turn the crank look inside your valve covers and nothing will be moving, if stuff is moving you are in the wrong stroke.

Don't have a dr but here goes.

On the comp. stroke at tdc the intake and exhaust valves will be closed. On my bike one can double check this as there will be a very small amount of wiggle/freeplay in the exhaust rockers. Not sure how the top end is on the dr but maybe this will help.

oky thanks for the fast help!!! ill have to double check..... also from what i read when do like google from what i understand is after the intake valves go down then up then that stoke is the compression stoke then if i keep turning then piston gos down and then the ex valves go down then up and then that is the power stoke.. am i close???

4 stroke:

Intake: piston goes down/intake open-ex closed

Comp: piston goes up/intake-ex closed Top Dead Center on top of comp stroke

Power: piston goes down/intake -ex closed

Exhaust: piston goes up/ex. open-intake closed

Something like that

wonderful thats the pic im geting in my head... thank you all so much!! i got it right when i set the valves, i got lucky 👍

new next thing is there a clamp for the power bomb to the ex pipe?? the stock have it but the power bomb dont have a clamp for the ex pipe am i missing something or it just dont need it now??

Another trick carpenter 80, when adjusting the valves, take out one spark plug, rotate engine and watch the intake valves go down and then back up, put finger over spark plug hole sealing it, turn the motor and feel the air blow out from under your finger and at the same time watch the fly wheel in the inspection hole looking for the timing mark (TDC or T).

Cheers