Sign in to follow this  

Pre-jumping? not sure what to call it?

i practiced a couple days ago and raced today, at a track here in socal.

there are two particular "camel back" jumps at this track, with one being a large step down behind it. if you hit either of these at speed they launch you way out into the void and the landings will rattle your fillings.

while practicing the jumps i approached way too fast and in an effort to avoid being launched, i ''bunny hopped" about 4 feet from the lip. the bike lifted off the face and i sailed over the peak, landing short of the nut cracker section. but i still carried my speed thru it.

this was kinda an epiphany. i started practicing this intentionally. the key seemed to be i had to carry alot of speed when i hit the face, which really made me nervous. today during the race i did it several times while at an angle on the approach. so with the bike leaned over i was prejumping and avoiding the peak. is there a name for this?

Sounds like pre-loading or pre-jumping to me at first. There is a 110ft table top at Riverside mx that has a face that kind of tapers over and rolls into the top of the jump. To clear it you have to compress your suspension at speed on the upramp and leave the jump before you reach the almost non existent lip.

Or you want someone to tell you that you scrubbed a jump?

you know, I do this successfully on my snowboard. you pre-jump well BEFORE the jump and so when you hit the actual ramp the board will not go airborn. commonly used in boardercross all the time. similar effects to a scrub (although you can't do scrubs on a snowboard which is why I guess boardercrossers do pre-jumps).

I've tried to do this on my bike with limited success. Seems to be easier (and more energy efficient on the rider) to just absorb the jump/bump with our legs so the bike becomes resistant to taking flight.

if someone can do it on a bike please speak up !

Sic...

Sounds like pre-loading or pre-jumping to me at first. There is a 110ft table top at Riverside mx that has a face that kind of tapers over and rolls into the top of the jump. To clear it you have to compress your suspension at speed on the upramp and leave the jump before you reach the almost non existent lip.

Or you want someone to tell you that you scrubbed a jump?[/QUOTE]

no not scrubbing, like how sic described it, the face is convex (as oppossed to concave) and i'm jumping before i reach the peak. its like im jumping before the top of the jump. a couple of times it felt like i kinda lifted the rear end of the bike with my feet to clear the peak. i guess i'll name it "prejumping" 👍

that would be "bunny hopping" my friend.

hmmm, i wasnt hopping any bunnies, ....i tried to hit them square 👍

I think he is talking about absorbing the jump.

Kind of like manualing on BMX, on snowboards sounds like you just hop to top of a jump thats about the size of a good braking bump in motocross.

You do the same thing but you don't hoop. Just relax your legs and arms and allow the bike to come up to you. If you do it right hmm let me see if I can find that video but the bike will naturally come to you and you're knees will be bent and if u took a picture it would look kind of goofy.

Sounds a little strange to me ...I compress my suspension as I am going up the face of the jump with a quick bounce on the pegs to help gain a little more height in the jump ....

Are you trying to release the compression of your forks BEFORE you leave the peak of the jump? Sounds almost impossible as the suspension is gonna naturally compress as you start up the face ...

PS -- ain't it cool reliving 4-13-2010 again?

Edited by ray_ray

I know 100% what you are talking about. There is a section at my track that I do this on. I tried to get some video but my friend was not close enough to really see it. But Yes, I do this all the time. on Tall jumps with no real kicker you can lift the bike of the face early. Its like seat bouncing the jump half way through the face. I did it next to my friend who went off the full jump. He went a bit faster off the face but i was on the ground before he was. It is still faster to scrub but if you cant do that yet, this is a cool method. I have been trying to scrub from the middle point but I dont have it down yet. Gets a little hairy when your front wheel hits the top of the jump.