Sign in to follow this  

Strongest/Best boots for bad ankles....

My son cased a dune and broke both ankles this week. They cut off his Oxtar boots to get them off.

I knew this is a totally subjective question but if you could have ANY boots that are the strongest through the ankle area, what would you choose? Comfort isn't as important as strength/protection. I'm thinking the Sidi's look pretty darn tough...

What do you say?

The new SG12 are supposed to lessen the shock to ankles on hard landings.

The new SG12 are supposed to lessen the shock to ankles on hard landings.

They do. Thats why i bought mine a few months back.

The inside molds around your ankle and are very cofortable which is a +.

I just ordered a pair too. I hope they are worth the $$$.

I rock the Crossfires, they are strong. Although, I did mess my ankle up last weekend in them. I rode yesterday, but I still walk with a limp due to my super stiff ankle. I was in a 5th gear wheelie in a field, wind was blowing like crazy and blew me backwards.

SG 10's are very suportive, they fit nicely, and they're a little cheaper then SG 12's. i'm sure SIDI's and Tech 10's are also fine boots. pretty much you get what you pay for when it comes to quality and fit in boots.

Oxtars are not P.O.S. boots. I don't own a pair but if anything I've heard they are

stiff and over built. That said your son would have broke his ankles in any boot.

I'm sorry that happened and wish him a speedy recovery!

Nobody said Oxtars were P.O.S. boots did they?

Edited by KX02

I don't think anybody was talkin' bad about Oxtars, he said that they were cut off/ruined. I thought k2rider was looking for opinions/reviews on some boots with really good ankle support. From what I understand, all the boots mentioned have top drawer ankle support.

Thanks for the input so far...not really sure how the Oxtar's stack up as far as stiffness and/or support in the ankle area. I wasn't bashing them either. I just want whatever is the BEST in the future since due to this injury, a re-occurance may be more likely (or maybe not...what do I know?).

Keep the opinions coming....

That said your son would have broke his ankles in any boot.

I'm sorry that happened and wish him a speedy recovery!

You're probably right. From the way the metal toe piece on the right boot is ripped out from the boot sole, it looks like he barely got back on the pegs at all before landing...then his entire body was thrown forward as he cased the dune and his ankle flexed so far forward and snapped his ankle.

Being an ultra active, healthy 15 year old, I expect his recovery to go quickly if he does what he's told.

You're probably right. From the way the metal toe piece on the right boot is ripped out from the boot sole, it looks like he barely got back on the pegs at all before landing...then his entire body was thrown forward as he cased the dune and his ankle flexed so far forward and snapped his ankle.

Being an ultra active, healthy 15 year old, I expect his recovery to go quickly if he does what he's told.

I remember reading that the Scott genius boot had limited hinge movement to provide better ankle support or somthing. Might be worth checking out.

I remember reading that the Scott genius boot had limited hinge movement to provide better ankle support or somthing. Might be worth checking out.

I forgot about that $500+ pair of boots, may be worth looking into.

I've had THE worst ankle history, but never a problem wearing my Gaerne's in five years of hard racing. Mostly I've had SG-10's.👍

The Alpinestar Tech 10's are a really strong boot, especially that booty inside that has plastic braces attached to it... I just find Tech10's to be extremely uncomfortable around the upper ankle/lower calf.

The Gaerne SG 12's and 10's are extremely nice, especially the toughness of the SG12!

I use Alpinestar Tech 8's, so far so good...

I have had 6 ankle surgeries. All caused from mx. I have not always had the most expensive boots; AXO, Fox, and Thor. I just bought a pair of SIDI crossfires, they are very comfortable to wear for my ankles. I hope they protect as well as they feel!

I have owned Tech 8s, Tech 10s, Sidi Crossfires, and Gaerne SG-10s. For ankle support, the SG-10s are by far the most supportive - they feel like you are wearing ankle braces - and are the only ones I bought a second pair of.