Crap fuel mileage

Well is 34 miles per gallon (US) ok with a stock engine with: 3x3 mod, MDR pipe FCR 39 carb. No other internal work. Smells and looks rich.

Goes like stink ?

Stock specs show 18.2km/L or 11.375miles/0.264 Gallons or 43m/g

So is my usage normal for all you other people with similar set ups? I may need to look at the jetting, but thought to ask first as I may be just fine. In short I got about 90 miles out of one tank.

Andreas

Had a great ride today, over to Vancouver Island, Schwartz bay, Cowachin lake, Port Renfrew, Sooke, Swartz Bay. Great Great ride!!!?

Edited by catimann
Needed more info. to be clear

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats close to what I get, maybe 35-38mpg . same mods as you(fmf quite pipe). I dont even ride it crazy hard. Thats allot of highway cruising with 15t front.

It doesnt make sense to me considering I get better mileage on my 510 husky riding dirt:(

I get on a good week about 88 miles a tank not including reserve. I ride hard and maybe 20 miles a week of hwy use. All back road and city commute. I love stop lights. I'm guessing that's where all my fuel goes.all those hard launches. If my trying real hard and going easy and sticking to surface streets I can get 95 miles till I hit reserve. All stock

Last refill I got around 120km before hitting reserve with fcr39, 3x3 and mrd/ssw open pipe but ive only had the 3x3 and fcr39 for a week now. Stock I was getting 150-160km before hitting reserve.

I have an 05 S and around town/trails I never kept track but when I was commuting 40-70 miles I would get 35 maybe closer to 40mpg if I kept the speed down on the highway.

At first I thought this was bad, until I found out someone I know has a late model Goldwing and he only gets 25mpg! He might as well bought a civic they get 30+

I guess if I geared the DRZ 4 the street i would see better mpg but offroad it already seems geared too high. Engine wise mine is stock.

Well is 34 miles per gallon (US) ok with a stock engine with: 3x3 mod, MDR pipe FCR 39 carb. No other internal work. Smells and looks rich.

Goes like stink ?

So is my usage normal for all you other people with similar set ups? I may need to look at the jetting, but thought to ask first as I may be just fine. In short I got about 90 miles out of one tank.

Andreas

Had a great ride today, over to Vancouver Island, Schwartz bay, Cowachin lake, Port Renfrew, Sooke, Swartz Bay. Great Great ride!!!?

I get the same with same mods except I have the RS-2. Go ride! ?:ride:

Goes like stink ?

Andreas

That's about what i get out my Z. Stock carb, modified stock exhaust. i hit reserve typically between 65-70 miles

• 2 years later...

My story:

05' S, 3x3, drilled OEM Pipe, 1st ride this morning on FCR 39 with:155main, 45pilot, emn 3rd clip, new chain, 15 front, 48 rear, 75/25 DOT Tires.

Tried out my FCR-39 mod today for the 1st time...pretty cool except: I notice some surging when trying to cruise mid-range in the power-curve. It rides great in the dirt when shifting and pegging the throttle all the time...but when I hit the street and get behind a little ole lady doing 32mph and I just try to cruise behind 1/2 throttle...I get the surging???

My real issue is: I RAN OUT OF GAS AT 59 MILES ??? Thank God for the reserve !!!! I topped her off before my test ride of about 40mi dirt/fire-roads and 20mi pavement. I got her to the station and it took 2.7gals??? I just couldn't believe it !!!!

I used to get 97mi before I hit reserve with jetted Mukuni CV and 15 front and 44 rear. Even my 2003 Harley Fatboy 1450cc V-Twin gets 35mpg...

I just can't believe that my 400cc DRZ single only gets 30mpg ????

Eddie what have I done wrong?

Thanks for the feedback...

where did the carb come from?

Bought the FCR-39 from guy who was parting out a 2001 DRZ400-E... Removed C-R, did o-ring mod, re-jetted to above spec's. Just doesn't seem like there was a 40% power/response gain to offset the 40% mileage drop??? The bike now feels almost like a 2 stroke...where you have to keep it in the power-band. It's not nearly as forgiving in gear selection as it was before the carb and gearing mod's. It rides really sweet in the dirt...but only for 60miles...that's a real bummer. Every 1-1/2 hrs having to gas-up just won't get the job done !!! I have a 4gal IMS tank, but it has leaky petcock issues...I can see now that those issues will have to be ironed out pronto if all I can get out of a OEM tank is 60miles !!!

Oh yeah...I'm 48, 260lbs and ride like those numbers indicate...SLOW... lol

Anyways thanks for any advice Eddie !

Edited by Stazi64

34 mpg, smells rich, looks rich...well, it's rich. I've been luckier than most, only got under 60 mpg twice in the last 2500 miles. 190 pounds, all stock. I just switched back to 15/44 from 14/47 when I went on a road trip, so I'll see how it does in the valley...where I seldom get over 50mph.

I have a Yoshimura, but here in Cali the freeeeking BLM, DOF, DFG, Sheriff, CHP...well you get the idea any LEO will write you up for the smallest infraction. So I think I'll have to keep the OEM set-up for a low profile... Let me say again though...DRILLED OEM pipe...it's pretty airy, just a little heavier than my Yosh.

That's what I was thinking when I bought the IMS tank...minimum 180 miles per tank!!! Now you can go somewhere and still get back!!! That's why I was so freaked out when I ran out of gas at mile 59...I still don't believe I burned 2.5gals in an hour and a half??? Now, when I put the IMS tank on, I'm down to 110-120 miles per tank...30-40 more miles than before the FCR/gear mods ???