Sign in to follow this  

Oil Change Question

I did a search on this but did not find the answer to my question.

I have a new to me 08 CRF450. The dealer told me I should use oil with molly for the engine oil. I told him my owners manual said to use oil without molly. He told me the manual was wrong and I should use oil with molly.

Is the dealer correct or should I follow the manual and use engine oil w/o molly?

My dealer recommended the silver bottle Honda oil w/moly for the engine and the gold colored bottle of Honda oil for the transmission. I know a fellow racer who is not the most meticulous guy (I'm being nice here) who runs this combo and his bike keeps going and going. I figure if his bike doesn't break down then it must be good. As soon as I've got 4 hours on my 09 I'll be doing the same thing. I realize this contradicts the manual but the manual is not right on break in either. The oil is sold with the Honda name on it and since there is no warranty don't worry about it.

My dealer recommended the silver bottle Honda oil w/moly for the engine and the gold colored bottle of Honda oil for the transmission. I know a fellow racer who is not the most meticulous guy (I'm being nice here) who runs this combo and his bike keeps going and going. I figure if his bike doesn't break down then it must be good. As soon as I've got 4 hours on my 09 I'll be doing the same thing. I realize this contradicts the manual but the manual is not right on break in either. The oil is sold with the Honda name on it and since there is no warranty don't worry about it.

Theoretically, this seems reasonable. AFAIK the reason for not using moly in bikes is because the moly damages the wet clutch. Since the clutch and gear oil is separate from the engine oil I guess the moly should be OK in the engine side. So long as you never put any in the gearbox side..

Honda puts millions and millions of dollars into testing and engineering their bikes. if they so dont use it I wouldnt use it. A dealership "mechanic" is the last person in the world who could ever convince me otherwise.

What about automatic transmission fluid(tranny side). A couple of riders are useing this and swear by it. I'm running a rekluse clutch so I haven't decided if I want to try it yet

I have run both for the engine but make sure to not run molly in your tranny/clutch. The molly is meant to reduce friction and thus your clutch plates wont engauge properly.

Yes the moly is to make the cylinder oil more efficient but it could have a negative effect on the clutch. As for not listening to a dealer mechanic it's up to you but the head mechanic at my dealer has been in the industry for 30 years at the same shop. I trust him more than most of what I read on the internet. My genuine Honda manual that came with my bike says to use Pro Honda oils which is why your dealer recommended the oil he did.

I've had an 05 CRF450, an 09 CRF250, and a 09 CRF450 now and all 3 of them I use HP4 w/ Moly on the engine side and GN4 on the clutch side. It's worked great and I won't use anything else.

All my CRF's have used moly honda in the engine side,but don't put it in the transmission side,the slick moly will eat the clutch up with the slick moly.

All my CRF's have used moly honda in the engine side,but don't put it in the transmission side,the slick moly will eat the clutch up with the slick moly.

He is right: do not use oil w/ molly on the clutch side.I personaly use the HP4M (red cap - 10w40 i think) for the engine side and the HP Trans oil for the tranny.

engine.jpg

tranny.jpg

Here is a link of Honda oils and lubes.

http://powersports.honda.com/documents/2008/brochure_2008_Honda_Oil_and_Chemicals.pdf

Hope this helps

I have heard that its ok to put the oil with molly into the bike as long as you keep running it with that oil. The reason is because the molly coats everything than when you put normal oil w/ out molly in it it can wear your parts faster because of the coating.

I never heard of molly in the transmition

Im not %100 sure about this but my honda dealership parts manager told me this.

Re-read the Owner's Manual. I'm pretty sure it recommends the oil w/moly for the engine side (and warns not to put it in the tranny side). This is the application Honda has developed the oil w/moly to begin with. The moly additive makes the oil more slippery, in theory increasing the life of your engine. If you put it in the clutch side, well, it's just too slippery and your clutch will slip.

Personally if the engine is stock i run HP4M on the engine side and HP4 ( gold ) on the clutch side. 

Moly is essentially an additive to reduce friction as much as possible which is good for cranks, rods, cam etc. but when you put moly in the clutch it will slip and it will be hard to get it flushed enough to keep it from slipping again. so remember. 

SILVER- ENGINE SIDE

GOLD- CLUTCH SIDE

I did a search on this but did not find the answer to my question.

I have a new to me 08 CRF450. The dealer told me I should use oil with molly for the engine oil. I told him my owners manual said to use oil without molly. He told me the manual was wrong and I should use oil with molly.

Is the dealer correct or should I follow the manual and use engine oil w/o molly?

It doesnt matter what you use for the engine as long as its jaso certified oil.

anyone found a decent non-honda replacement for the tranny side thta does not contain moly or are we stuck with just honda products.

Bel ray thumper gear saver, pro honda transmission oil both are excellent.

Re-read the Owner's Manual. I'm pretty sure it recommends the oil w/moly for the engine side (and warns not to put it in the tranny side). This is the application Honda has developed the oil w/moly to begin with. The moly additive makes the oil more slippery, in theory increasing the life of your engine. If you put it in the clutch side, well, it's just too slippery and your clutch will slip.

My 2003 manual says the same thing as what his says. But i dont see moly causing a issue.

I just use GN4 on both sides and change it every ride. Clean oil is gold. O , and my 450 is an 02 , just say`n.

This thread is over 6 years old! I posted that when my bike has 4 hours on it I'll switch to the moly oil. Well...I did run moly oil for the whole time I owned the bike and I sold it this spring with 162 hours and never had a failure. I switched to a YZ and it doesn't have separate oil chambers so I can't use it in the Yamaha but I use it in my son's CRF250.

anyone found a decent non-honda replacement for the tranny side thta does not contain moly or are we stuck with just honda products.

Yep, these motors are that special. You hafta use only Honda oil. Anything else and kaboom!

:busted: