Sign in to follow this  

vertically challenged

OK all you KLR experts, I need a little help. Before you flame me out of existence, I know this has probably been talked to death, but bear with me, I'm new here.

I am considering a new KLR 650. I've ridden them and really like the bike. However, at this stage of life (old) seat height is a difficulty. Can I use a lowering link and short shock together or will that not work? If I can, and lower the rear 3 to 4 inches or more, is it possible to lower the front end an equal amount?

Any suggestions, ideas, etc. will be most welcome. BTW is there a better choice than the KLR. I'm not looking to go fast, and am not likely to be riding any goat trails, just gravel roads and fire trails.

Thanks for the help, and thanks for a great site.

I personally hate lowered KLRs (the one's I've ridden)... quickens the steering & wants to fall into the turn. Try somebody elses if you can... may be OK for you. Yes, you can lower the forks by sliding them up the triple... you will want to if you go lowering links in the back. I wouldn't go too low either... you get used to it (I'm your age if 1949 in your handle means anything). I have a Cogent shock on mine & it's tall as hell. Another good choice is the DR650... easy to lower & may be lower to begin with (I think). Needs a few more goodies to do adventure rides, but great as a commuter & all around explorer.

Had a DRZ 400, it was sluggish on the low end then just exploded when it came up on the cam. Not my style. Haven't ridden the 650. Once I rode the KLR I was pretty much hooked. Maybe you could just follow me around with a step stool.

Thanks for the input.

RS

My DRZ was as tall as the KLR... close enough so it didn't matter. Ya, the KLR is a pretty kool skooter, had a bunch of fun on it. The DR is nice too,,,, a bit lower, a bit lighter, mebby a bit more power, not as much wind protection, smaller tank... I'd own one if I didn't already have too many bikes.