86 klr600

Hi guys need help .

my brother has a klr600 is trying to get it working but having no luck, replaced cam chain lined it all up TDC. try kicking it, but then the cam chain becomes to tight to kick again ?

Edited by rit2003uk

If you put the bike in gear and rock it backwards does it move the crank/cam? How about forwards (gently)? I'm assuming the tensioner was re set, so where I'm going with this is to try to figure out if if it is in the cam drive or something in the kicker. If something is out of time you may have valves into the piston... thats why you want to roll it backwards first. Pull the spark plug & be careful. They don't roll backwards as easy as forwards because of the started drive.

ahhhh.... well that is a bit different. Could have jumped a tooth if there was something left undone inside. I have only seen one.... guy left a rag in the engine during a valve set & it got into the chain. The cam stuff seems to be pretty trouble free on these guys BUT, there is also a balancer chain & tensioner, etc (known as the doohickey). This is a known sore spot on KLRs. I would pull the left side covers and see what's up. You will need a rotor puller (bolt) and I would do the "DOO" while in there. Check the big KLR forums for more info.

• 4 months later...

Update :

Right hes done all the engine etc , but now theres another problem , the carb is leaking fuel from the overflow pipe.

Ive got the carb off him and cleaned it etc set the float height to 17.5mm but it still pisses out .

So brought a new float needle however ,its not the right one too small

i don't understand why its too small ??? does the cvk 40 have different versions ??

Can anyone shed some light on this ??

One thing to add the bike is an import .