Sign in to follow this  

How many hours is considered a lot

I bought a 2006 250 xc-w. Looks very well maintained and cared for. every bolt that could be, was safety wired, no leaks, fresh top end, fires right up and runs strong. Lot's of guards and protection items on it too. However, it has 137 hours. Should I be worried? The guy was about 43 years old, treated it well, and did race it in some cross country events. How long is a bottom end good for?

The bigger question is what kind of service has the bike had??? oil, filter cleanings and so on. Bikes need care, most are not serviced properly, knowing the maintenance history is more important in most cases than total hours. Secondly the kind of use the bike has had is also important. Good luck

if the bike was cared for as said above then 143 hrs is not a problem for the bottom end or trans, clutch, the top end id getting close to needing the piston and rings replaced and PV cleaned. I would ride it this season and then do it in the off time.

if the bike was cared for as said above then 143 hrs is not a problem for the bottom end or trans, clutch, the top end id getting close to needing the piston and rings replaced and PV cleaned. I would ride it this season and then do it in the off time.

well, I will surpass 143 hours by riding it theis season. Is there anything I can do to make the bottom end last longer? There doesn't seem to be any problems right now.

I would say you are fine as long as the bike has been taken care of. I would say my 05 is very close to or over 300 hrs, still running strong. I just installed the 3rd topend.

I have nearly 200 hrs., 5k miles and my 300 runs great.

I had a 2000 300exc that had over 500+ hours when I sold it. It was 7 years old then. Never did have any bottom end problems. I belive the best thing is to change the oil at about 12 to 15 hours of ride time. To me thats like two weekend rides or a long weekend of playing....

well, I will surpass 143 hours by riding it theis season. Is there anything I can do to make the bottom end last longer? There doesn't seem to be any problems right now.

we currently have a 200 at around 550 hrs, an 07 250 at 670 hrs, and an 04 250 at around 500 hrs. None of them has ever needed the bottom end touched.

i've got 250 hours currently on an 09 300, from how the bike run's and sounds, this is nothing for these engines, i won't evan consider doing another top end untill 350 hours.

I just turned over 150 hours on my '08 300 XC-W and she runs as pure today as she did spanking new.

I maintain her regularly...feed her a diet of good gas and quality full synth lube (@ 55:1)...change the trans oil (using full synth Rotella-T oil with Rekluse now...used full synth tranny fluid prior to Rekluse) every 4-to-5 rides (aprox. 40 miles per ride)...clean and re-oil air filter after every ride.

I've pulled the exhaust flange off twice (once to replace it because I broke it in a crash and once to re-seal it to the cylinder) and I've scrapped the carbon build-up from the powervalve body and looked into the cylinder with a flashlight to inspect (could not see anything amiss).

I'll re-assess at the 200/250/and 300 hour mark before seriously considering a top-end rebuild. It is my understanding that woods-type riding and harescrambles racing are much less torturous on engine parts and longevity is greatly enhanced vs. MX-style riding/racing. I don't anticipate needing a bottom-end rebuild for the service life of this bike.

-Jay