Sign in to follow this  

CR triple tree differences for XR for swap

I have a set of 90 CR125 forks on my XR600. My question is, do the 125 triple clamps have a steeper angle or rake to the forks than the 250 or 500 clamps? If so, I assume the 500 triples would be more suited to the 600? The bike will mostly see dual sport mostly street and highway duty. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

I mean kicking the front tire out further from the bike. Is that the trail?

sorta...think as trail being two paralell lines,one from the axle the other at the center of the stem,The distance between the two can be changed with a different clamp. Rake would be the angle or degrees that the fork sits at from a virtical line. More rake,slower steering less grab on the front tire.Think "chopper".Less rake,more grab faster steering. Trail seems to effect how a bike "turns by itself"if on an angle or leaned over.

There's a lot more on this subject...but this has been always been my basic thoughts..

I guess what I'm asking, in a nutshell, is there any difference in the triple clamps between cr125, 250, and 500? Is there more of an offset in the 500 clamps, as opposed to the 125 clamps. If so, would the offset be more like what the XR600 came with and get it closer to the stock geometry? Anybody have any experience with this while doing there swap? Thanks

I think short of acquiring and measuring the interested triple clamp angle you would need a brochure for that year bike or a review article from a dirt bike mag. It seems to me that they all are within about 20 to 22 degrees for dirt bikes which won't change it into a chopper. I don't have much else to add but I'm using 94 CR125 forks and tripples on my 600 and have no problems.

xjz, thanks for the info. I was just concerned that the 125 clamps might not work for me. I'm still restoring the bike, so haven't ridden it yet. Sounds like they will be fine. Thanks for the responses.

Some of the CR125/250 triples may have less offset than 500 clamps. I found the 89/91 250 clamps were about 6/8mm less offset than same year 500s. All my USD conversions so far have used 89/91 CR forks. I tried both on my 83 XR500 noticing the front had a bit more bite with the 250 clamps. The front tire would cut into the ground better and let you swing the backend out easier but was quite a bit less stable at higher speed. For anything over 40mph I much preferred the 500 clamps. Rake is barely affected by offset. Rake is all in the frame and changed mainly by fork length. You can adjust rake by raising/lowering the legs in the clamps and preload on the springs to some degree. I pulled all my USDs off and put 86/88 CR or 93 up XR conventionals on mostly because USDs seem to leak sooner or easier. I have no idea if the 92 up clamps have any offset differences.